10.11.6 ScreenSaver MCX

JKnightley
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I need to create an MCX file for controlling the ScreenSaver lock-out time for our users to 20 minutes, we are running 10.11.6, I've found a few different posts but seems to have mixed messages, does anyone have this setup already that can confirm the location which file needs to be converted, also the contents of the plist file being converted ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

khey
Contributor

Under Managed Preferences - enabled these 2 below
Screen Saver ByHost - Enable Idle time to set when the screensaver starts
Screen Saver LoginWindows - Enable Require Password to wake from sleep and Enable Screen Saver Idle Time to set when to put the computer to sleep

Aaron
Contributor II

As I understand it, the general consensus is that you should avoid using MCX where possible, as Apple are moving towards Config Profiles. MCX can tend to be inconsistent.

You'll find screensaver settings under the "Login Window" category, in the "Options" tab.

khey
Contributor

i have tried using Config Profile and when i deployed it, users are unable to lock their computers.

JKnightley
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses, we are not using JSS onsite here, currently using Munki.

Apple Server doesn't seem to have any options for creating a ScreenSaver profile which is why I was looking at creating a MCX profile instead.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

As documented in the Apple payload reference, passcode policy is what triggers screensaver:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@khey

That is a known Apple issue there a 3 or 4 threads in Jamf nation about it... you have to build the profile manually or edit it from the Server app, then sign it in Apple configurator and upload it the JSS.