10.14.3 deployment issue anybody?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

I am experiensing an issue deploying macOS 10.14.3 Combo Update via Self Service.

Business as usual - downloaded "macOSUpdCombo10.14.3.dmg" from Apple, added "macOSUpdCombo10.14.3.pkg" to Jamf Admin, indexed, created simple policy, made installation available in Self Service. As testing and trying to install, installation is not happening, log shows an error:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Cannot install on volume / because it is disabled.
installer: This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

What do I do wrong? Is anything should be set differently with latest Mojave update deployment? Your advice is highly appreciated!

29 REPLIES 29

danreedphoto
New Contributor III

Same issue here.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

10.12.6 for life

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@mhasman On which vintage of hardware are you experiencing this error?

(In updating to 10.14.3 via a Software Update policy in Self Service, I've noticed what appears to be another firmware update for the hard drive on newer hardware.)

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@dan-snelson There is no vintage hardware here :) tested on MBPs model 2016/17, iMacs 2017.

Update via App Store with Software Update works fine, no issue. Downloaded macOSUpdCombo10.14.3.pkg manual installation also works. But the same package deployed by Self Service fails.

wesleya
Contributor

I heard this is a known issue where only certain builds of macOS passes their validation check (and others don't). Software Update works, but Apple needs to update logic in their Combo Update package.

The other option involves deconstructing the package and adding validation for other builds, but I'm not getting into that business personally.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

It's possible that the Self Service policy is doing a traditional restart when that update might really need shutdown-with-an-automatic-startup. I am very roughly summarizing and interpreting what others have been discussing on Slack. I suspect Jamf may need to add support for the "-R" option that Apple added to the softwareupdate command.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@jhalvorson Why full shutdown is necessary? What deference does it make vs. doing full restart? - Thanks!

nblack
New Contributor

This sounds like the combo update issue some have reported in the forums:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-releases-macos-mojave-10-14-3.2166339/page-2

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

@mhasman it might be related to the new security chips in the newer models. Some Apple patches do not require a reboot, some require a restart, and now there are some that require a shutdown.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Might be, but seems unrealistic as the same one package installed on the same computer manually makes Mac restarted, not shouted down

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

#fullInstallerFTW

--
https://donmontalvo.com

sshort
Valued Contributor

@mhasman check out this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250106871?answerId=250193891022#250193891022

Apparently Apple just pulled the 10.14.3 combo installer and issued a new one.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@sshort Stephen, thank you for letting me know! I appreciate that!

mhasman
Valued Contributor

>Apparently Apple just pulled the 10.14.3 combo installer and issued a new one

Seems like it haven't been happen yet. I just downloaded 10.14.3 Combo image; it shows the same .pkg file size, same date Jan 15

SGill
Contributor III

The one I downloaded here in Texas is dated January 24, 3:21 pm - 2.51 GB

It may have to do with which CDN you're on.

Be happy to send you this one if you need it.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Maybe just URL, please? If you do Get Info on .dmg file, it shows "Where from" under "more Info"
Thank you!

SGill
Contributor III

Here ya go:

http://updates-http.cdn-apple.com/2019/macos/041-32279-20190124-BBE902D6-D788-11E8-B555-8E91F34A5CAA/macOSUpdCombo10.14.3.dmg

hedenstam
New Contributor III

I have the same issue with patch management policy to update to 10.14.3
For me it worked fine, also rebooted the Mac automatically. I was on 10.14.2
For a colleague, same HW model, who was on 10.14.1, the update did not work:
Executing Patch Policy macOS
Downloading macOSUpd10.14.3.pkg...
Downloading https://euc1-jcds.services.jamfcloud.com//download/bcdd1517c59d4a1d8334a552e2e1c17a/macOSUpd10.14.3.pkg?token=04dcab1e3297494db21a0677a44e3f8fewmkkj2acqvqk6ctai3itvo3z5lzk2ch...
Verifying package integrity...
Installing macOSUpd10.14.3.pkg...
installer: Cannot install on volume / because it is disabled. installer: This volume does not meet the requirements for this update.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@SGill Thank you for URL!

Yes, it was slightly deferent in size than one I downloaded, and build date was 2 week after.

But seems like it does not fix the issue. Deploying, still get the error in log:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is macOS 10.14.3 Update
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed.

SGill
Contributor III

@mhasman Sorry that didn't fix it, but overall you might want to consider retiring the non-local usage of the Apple Combo updaters, both in a policy, and in any Self-Service portal. There have been so many recent changes with what is required for an Apple update to succeed (ie shutdown instead of restart, etc), that is largely better handled by the softwareupdate command set, and the Apple App Store installers. I manage many macs here, and haven't used the combo updaters in years.

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi all,

My first day of test macOS Mojave 10.14.3 combo update. It fails for me too. I am using the same copy of macOSUpdCombo10.14.3.pkg to update my Mac at home. This was successful on a 2013 Macbook Air and a 2016 Macbook. But when uploaded to our JAMF Pro v10.8, Macbooks in our office install fails via Self Service.

Are we sure it is the macOSUpdCombo10.14.3.pkg that is causing issue? Or something to do with JAMF Pro version? Maybe I need to upgrade JAMF Pro again to make Mojave 10.14.3 combo update work?

mhasman
Valued Contributor

@Bernard.Huang Seems like there is nothing to do with Jamf PRO, issue is with Combo PKG somehow.

macandcat
New Contributor III

I have to agree with @SGill. Run this policy as a script that calls

softwareupdate -i ${updatename} -R

Make sure you pop a message to the user that their computer is going to restart, either through Jamf Helper or your preferred method.

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Thank you!
I tested that one:

softwareupdate -i -a --restart

What I do not like is each Mac is going to download update from outside instead of using internal distribution point, and that I can not caching the image. When installer is bigger that 1GB, I prefer to cache it in background first, then make the policy available to make sure it installs anyway as package is already present locally.

macandcat
New Contributor III

It is possible to use Server.app to act as a caching server and it will be automatically seen by all machines unless this functionality has been removed. It's been a while since I've set up a machine to do this. Worked well for small environments with limited external bandwidth.

SGill
Contributor III

Be aware too, that as of now, what admins are seeing and reporting is that --restart is currently broken if the mac is already in a logout state, significantly reducing its usefulness. Apple will hopefully fix that flaw soon.

macandcat
New Contributor III

Interesting. One could script a solution to check if there is a logged in user and if not do a:

shutdown -r now

Thanks for letting us know about that issue!

mhasman
Valued Contributor

Build 18D109 is available with new 10.14.3 Combo Update by February 7th:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1992?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Hope Apple fixed it. I will test on Monday

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

Interestingly, I have a Mac Mini 2018 which arrived with 10.14.0 and I couldn't for the life of me get it updated to 10.14.1, 10.14.2 or 10.14.3 using any of the delta or combo packages at https://support.apple.com/downloads

I ended up grabbing the latest installer from the App Store and installing that, as our NetSUS is currently down with disk space issues!