10.8.3 Netboot image and 10.6.8 server

rfrance
New Contributor

I am relatively new to jamfnation while i have been a customer for a few years. My question is: Is it possible to host a 10.8.3 netboot image on a 10.6.8 server and if so how can one get there? I have tried building a base image and using that as my netboot image, using the automator on a 10.8.3 machine to configure it for casper but to no avail. I have also followed the articles below to a T and have not had success. Please help. It seems that the machine is connecting to the server but it cannot load my netboot image.

I am getting this far in the log and it stops

server bootpd[726]: NetBoot: [1,0:3:93:8d:e0:f4] BSDP ACK[SELECT] sent 172.16.x.xxx pktsize 450

Thanks for all of your insights thus far through the KB articles and discussions.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=307
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=313

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Also - make sure you haven't accidentally enabled any sort of model filtering. That can prevent it from loading up as well.

~Ted

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

taugust04
Valued Contributor

The first thing I would try is make sure the NetBoot image is set for NFS in Server Admin on your 10.6.8 server. I've noticed that the newer versions of SIU default to setting them for use over HTTP.

I'm currently serving 10.8.3 NetBoot images built with SIU without any issues on an OS X 10.6.8 Server.

~Ted

rfrance
New Contributor

Thanks Ted! I have that set already as it worked with my previous Casper Image but still having no luck :(

rfrance
New Contributor

Thanks Ted! I have that set already as it worked with my previous Casper Image but still having no luck :(

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Although it's rare, it could be a permissions issue on the .nbi folder your NetBoot image is contained in. On my working server/image, the permissions are the following:

Owner: root : R W X
Group: admin : R W X
Everyone : R - X

Make sure those permissions are applied to all the files and folders inside your .nbi folder. After changing/verifying the permissions, make sure to toggle the NetBoot service on and off in Server Admin.

You may want to do something something as simple as changing the Index number as well. Sometimes the NBImageInfo.plist file inside of the .nbi folder gets corrupted or has a bad entry, and sometimes making a simple change clears this up by overwriting the contents of this .plist file.

After that, you might want to try rebuilding your NetBoot image. SIU occasionally 'spits out' an unusable one.

~Ted

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Also - make sure you haven't accidentally enabled any sort of model filtering. That can prevent it from loading up as well.

~Ted

rfrance
New Contributor

It was set to allow only certain mac addresses and deny all others, I couldn't even set it off of that without putting in a phony mac address and set it to deny listed below (allow others)

Weird but thanks for all your help!!!!

tuinte
Contributor III

taugust04:

I'd like to piggyback on this as it's the setup I'm trying to get going. I've checked the model filtering and, like rfrance, it was stuck on "Allow these and deny all others" and when I tried changing to "Deny the following and allow all others" it wouldn't stick. I put in a dummy entry under "Deny the following..." and that stuck, so yay. But I'm still getting a panic at boot when netbooting from a client. My latest thoughts are in this thread:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=7102

Any ideas?

Michael

tuinte
Contributor III

Well, the Netboot server I was working just had a hard drive crash. Apple hardware pulling through. Replaced, re-setup, and voila, it works. So never mind my inquiry.