12" Retina MacBook - Hardware Model Incorrect in JSS

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

JSS 9.82 on MSFT Server 2008 R2.

We have some Early 2015 12" Retina MacBooks in the environment, Casper reports the model correctly running 10.10.5 or 10.11.6. MacBook (12-inch Retina Early 2015)

We brought in a new 12" device (Early 2016) and there appear to be issues in the Casper info. The device images without issue and is running 10.11.6 at this time. However, the model in the JSS shows as MacBook9,1.

Has anyone else experienced this? Know how to correct it (server upgrade perhaps)?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

That generally occurs for brand-new hardware until the JSS is updated to recognize the model identifier. There's an XML file that is part of the JSS web app which lists all of the known models and their descriptions.

It looks like it's fixed in 9.93: 9e10fbb212b949eaa8bdb1051c015264

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

That generally occurs for brand-new hardware until the JSS is updated to recognize the model identifier. There's an XML file that is part of the JSS web app which lists all of the known models and their descriptions.

It looks like it's fixed in 9.93: 9e10fbb212b949eaa8bdb1051c015264

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The problem goes deeper than just the fact that the JSS uses an xml file to look up the full model name. The fact that it relies on the model identifier is problematic. Take a look at the discussion on this feature request to learn more about that.

Edit: So looks like I didn't fully read everything in the original post, so some of what I mention above doesn't apply here. Though the issue I mentioned is still a problem in general.

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

@bvrooman This is what I figured was going on as the device was very new. Our Pre-Prod environment has been upgraded to 9.93 as of this morning so I will test with the unit...

Thank you!

@mm2270 Completely understand this issue as we have noticed it in the past. I am still working on the EA to pull this info correctly from Apple (hopefully getting it to work using our Proxy info...)