1800 devices switching to User base to Device base

Krbonus
Contributor

This is probably a project for me Summer 2019, any good practice that anyone can share with me to make this transition smoothly as possible?

Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated.

18xx iPads / about 300 Apps scoped out to users.

Thank you in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

Krbonus
Contributor

Pardon my crappy thread title (I don't know how to grammar).

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

This is from memory as I did this in summer 2016 or 2017 (right after the feature came out)..

Be sure to check the box for VPP Device assigned licenses for each app in the catalog. Scope the app in the catalog to the same scope you have for user assigned. Then when you unscope the user assigned, the device will still be in scope for the app and it won't uninstall off any iPads.

It is ok to have a mix of device assigned and user assigned licenses.

Krbonus
Contributor

Thank you!

Would I have to unscope apps under Users>VPP Assignments as well? I noticed that some Apps were double dipping, they are scoped to users under Devices>Mobile Device apps and again scoped to Users>VPP Assignments.

Also, did you have to re-do all the iPads? Not sure if you had the same setup before but ours has their own Apple IDs/AD accounts attached to them.

Pardon my noob question.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

No we did not have to redo all the iPads.

After making sure the device licensing is done, you will want to remove the user licensing under Users -> VPP Assignments to free up the double licenses.

Krbonus
Contributor

Thank you!