9.2.1 device name not updating

Tolandese
Contributor

Hello everyone, Yesterday I tested a push of the 9.2.1 update to 40 iPads with 9.1 installed to see if it would work overnight. It succeeded, but only for half of the devices (I made a smart group with 9.1 devices across 2 of our carts). The real issue now is that the iPads that updated to 9.2.1 all had their mobile device names revert to "iPad". I cannot change them back. Device history shows every attempt to change device name as successful. I have tried removing the "enforce device name" checkbox and reapplying it. I can also confirm any iPads updated from 9.2 have not had this happen. Has anyone else seen this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tolandese
Contributor

It was discovered that a configuration profile that was assigned had unchecked the option to allow modifying device names. The profile was working correctly, the issue was whatever caused the name to change to the generic "iPad". All devices for me are working as expected.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mjwtech
New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with the serial number not being the name of the device. Defaults to name iPad.
JAMF any updates on this issue?

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Seeing the same thing on a very large scale...

jcline_bigos
New Contributor

Same here. Someone else on the list here suggested the restriction "Allow modifying device name (supervised only)" was the culprit when device naming is being handled in Pre-Stage. CHECKING that option for me in the restrictions profile results in my devices being named with the Serial Number (which is what I want and have set in the Pre-Stage enrollment"). I'm planning to either uncheck that option when I deploy to the user, or just leave as is. According to the settings in the Pre-Enrollment it will revert to the Serial number even if the user changes it, so i'm taking a "wait and see" approach on that.

Anyway, my 2 cents in case it helps anyone.

--Joe

Edit: With these settings, I did try renaming a device as a user would. It allowed me to change it, but quickly was changed back to the serial number after pushing an "update inventory" command

Tolandese
Contributor

Thank you everyone who posted. I have not yet found a solution and actually just had 15 more end up like this after i pushed out the update to them. I will be reaching out to my rep monday to see what they can do. Otherwise I might fix them the hard way.

Tolandese
Contributor

It was discovered that a configuration profile that was assigned had unchecked the option to allow modifying device names. The profile was working correctly, the issue was whatever caused the name to change to the generic "iPad". All devices for me are working as expected.

msnowdon
Contributor

Funny, I discovered this yesterday. I have the names locked in the JSS. I just noticed the option of not allowing anyone to modify the device name. Even though the names were locked, I figure why give them the opportunity to change it.

I then configured 2 new iPads, and changed their name in the JSS but discovered that even though the command went through, the default name of iPad wasnt changing. I then changed my Restrictions profile back to allow the modification of the names and bingo, the names finally changed to what I had set them to.

mjwtech
New Contributor

Nice to see the issue is resolved for me as well. msnowdon's post works like a charm.

jacinferreira
New Contributor II

I'm still having issues with this... I did notice in the configuration profile that I did have the option checked to dissallow students from changing the name. I have updated the configuration and pushed it back out.

For the few iPads that are named "iPad" I have gone back into it to edit its general name so that it will get set to what I want it to be, but it does not seem to be saving. When I look at the history even after I click save it stays as "iPad". Screen shot attached of the history of this iPad.

Very confusing. Anybody else still seeing this issue?18f4b76a1e834d70b83442630036e59d

msnowdon
Contributor

In the Restrictions profile, "Allow modifying device name (supervised only)" needs to be checked off to allow Casper to change the name. Then you lock it down in the individual iPad Inventory screen > General > Edit General > Enforce Mobile Device Name. Check off the box, set the name and click save. Run an Update inventory command under the Management tab and you should see the name change on the device as well as in the JSS. 0622f95d6aa942a2b74136f8447b26f7

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I have an ipad that needs a name change. It is supervised, enrolled with DEP, and the Restrictions Configuration Profile has the Allow Modifying Device Name box CHECKED to ALLOW.
Previously I would be able to rename this device using the "Enforce Device Name" in the JSS Record>Inventory>General Tab
Now, I check the Box, set the new name, send blank push, command goes succesfully but name never changes.

I am using JSS v. 9.96.1476461474.c

Edit: I removed and re-applied the Restricitions Profile, and when I removed, it said there was no profile to remove. My guess is that it was a previous version and the new version was never properly applied. Working now