Accidentally deleted a computer. Best practices to re-enroll?

Switchfly_IT
New Contributor III

Hi,
I was tidying up my inventory and accidentally deleted a computer that I shouldn't have.

My plan was to:

1. run sudo jamf -removeFramework (to get rid of the profiles, etc) 2.turn off Filevault
  2. Re-enroll
  3. Turn Filevault back on (keys stored in JamfPro)

Does that all sound like the right work flow?

I hope I'm not the only ding dong that has done this.

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Switchfly_IT Are you manually enrolling your Macs, or using an ADE/DEP based enrollment? If the latter, do you have "Allow MDM Profile Removal" enabled in your PreStage Enrollment? If not the removeFramework isn't going to get rid of it for you.

Switchfly_IT
New Contributor III

Yep, manually enroll.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If the device was manually enrolled, then the process you outlined in your first post should be fine to get it enrolled again.

nahuelrodriguez
New Contributor

@sdagley And what if it was enrolled through PreStage? Thanks!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@nahuelrodriguez PreStage enrollment is the same as the "ADE/DEP based enrollment".

@sdagley thanks for your fast reply! yep, indeed! my question is that I've mistakenly deleted a laptop from JAMF which had been enrolled via ADE/DEP (PreStage). So now it's unable to enrol from the URL as it already have the profiles. So, what would be the best way to re-enrol this laptop? Thanks!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@nahuelrodriguez If it's set up for automatic enrollment I'd say just erase it and then re-enroll. If you're running macOS Monterey and the Mac has a T2 security chip or an Apple Silicon processor then the new Erase All Contents and Settings feature (found in the System Preferences menu when System Preferences is the active application) makes that easy.