Activation Lock Bypass Code - not working

jgwatson
Contributor

Errr eeeeeek!

Institutionally owned and supervised iPad Air 1 running 9.2

iPad is about 4 months old, with AppleCare.

Error message: Incorrect Apple ID or Password.

Not sure what to do, it's an expensive paper weight, and the ultimate frisbee team is all set.

10 REPLIES 10

wdpickle
Contributor

Have you tried to DFU it?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jgwatson you may want to have a look at this. If the device isn't connected to the network anymore you may need to do what is suggested in that thread to send change passcode command to the device.

mmcallister
Contributor II

Can you verify that you leave the Apple ID blank, just enter bypass code in password field?

jgwatson
Contributor

Yup, I left the Apple ID blank. Tried manually entering the code, and whilst hooked up to my laptop via iTunes.

ChicagoGuy1984
New Contributor III

Make sure you are putting in the latest "BYPASS CODE" Once the device is "wiped" and has gone via he DEP, i believe a new "unlock code" is issued. - meaning - those codes do change, once the device is wiped - i have seen it and can confirm it.

I has the same problem until i "refreshed" the JSS page . Side note , it is painful to put in the CODE on the iPad, it it does work. (leave Username Blank - just put the unlock code in the Password field)

I have gone trough the trouble and followed the "CASE" sensitivity, but really, I don't know the code is case-sensitive - or its just printed in Upper case for "easier readability" and no mistakes. (I vs L) etc... I only tested on one device, but it does work!

Hope this helps!

cpdecker
Contributor III

Hi @jgwatson ,

We have had issues with this, and for now have come to accept that sometimes the bypass code stored in the JSS database just doesn't work, but I can't claim that we have fully exhausted our troubleshooting opportunities on the matter either.

I do want to let you know that you can call Apple and try to convince them that you own the iPad, and they can remotely clear the Activation Lock status usually within a few business days.

I hope this is helpful--please forward on any information you come across.

Thanks,
Cameron

jgwatson
Contributor

Called Apple, they have given me a case number, and an email template to fill out with the usual: Serial number, Purchase number, Signed statement saying we own the device, etc. They told me to send the email to them, and it could take up to 10 business days. I'll let you know how long this actually takes.

Thanks

iOSGenius
New Contributor III

Made a video for some for are still lost in doing this bypass current v9.96

https://youtu.be/LF4Ea9QpdS0

Thanks
Dan
JamfGenius.com

MengKuan
New Contributor

ok, my turn to face this issue.

But i do have similar problems before, i tried same method on previous ipad, i activate it by copy and paste into activation window in itunes, it doesn't work for 1st day. But next morning it work again!

My luck with the other ipad is worst, i try since last night till this morning and it doesn't work! i think i need to email to them.

rsterner
New Contributor III

When the JSS bypass code fails, my university sends the following:

Email To: ww_pv_red@apple.com

Subject: [University Name] Activation Lock Request

Business/Institution: [University Name on agreement]
Requestor Name: Phone Number: Street Address: City/State: Postal Code: Email Address:

Product Serial Number:
Product IMEI/MEID: (if SN isn’t provided)
Product Description:

Was the device used by an employee?: Used for student check-out.
Why is the institution unable to remove Find My iPhone Activation Lock?: JAMF Pro bypass code failed

Unlock Authorization Statement: I {insert name} representing [University Name] authorize Apple, Inc. to unlock the devices listed.

Attach Documentation (if other than direct purchase).

If your iPad is in DEP, no proof of purchase is needed.