Activation Lock On User Enrolled / Unsupervised Devices

_aDiedericks
Contributor

Hi there,

We've recently migrated from Meraki to Jamf Pro using the jamf migration tools. Issue we're seeing is that for devices that are moved they exist in an unsupervised state and therefore we cannot do anything with the activation lock. 

i.e when we wipe devices and they trigger activation lock, we would have to contact apple and wait 2 weeks to get the activation lock removed.

Our users use MAIDs which cannot release devices from activation lock and activation lock does not prompt local account credentials to release devices.

If anyone has dealt with this issue what is the best practice in dealing with these devices or process to get around it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

The only way to truly enroll a device in MDM and have full management is to reprovision it. This migrating stuff that the MDM providers advertise does not give you full management over a device, and the new MDM is missing information that is generated when a device is provisioned. 

I suggest moving to use the erase all contents and settings option from macOS or the MDM command to "refresh" devices instead of MAIDs. In the end I think you only real fix, is to reprovision your fleet.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

The only way to truly enroll a device in MDM and have full management is to reprovision it. This migrating stuff that the MDM providers advertise does not give you full management over a device, and the new MDM is missing information that is generated when a device is provisioned. 

I suggest moving to use the erase all contents and settings option from macOS or the MDM command to "refresh" devices instead of MAIDs. In the end I think you only real fix, is to reprovision your fleet.