AD Bind - Prefer This Domain Server

csanback
New Contributor III

Just wondering if there was any benefit to setting this? Or will it slow down the login process for users.

4 REPLIES 4

csanback
New Contributor III

bump

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@csanback I prefer my primary domain controller. Though, both are virtualized in Hyper-V and one really isn't faster than the other. The only reason I do this is that I know this DC is always up to date and that is where all changes are made (rarely DCs sometimes do fail to replicate). Although, from my understanding... if that DC is down it will automatically go to the other domain controllers. Not really sure how this impacts login times, but it shouldn't be a big concern as one DC can handle authentication for quite a large organization (though it isn't best practice).

csanback
New Contributor III

@jared_f Thanks for replying. We currently do not set this and just wanted to make sure that we were going to impact anything. My hope would be that we stop getting that red dot at the login screen saying network logins are not available. Or it would at least go away faster.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@csanback Apparently that is normal as the Mac's time drifts when it sleeps, but it does not cause login issues. I read somewhere that an NTP script to set the time at every login and check-in might be beneficial.