AD Home Folder changes causing small issues

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

Recently we removed all student storage and network home folders from our SAN. We now point all student AD account home folders to an empty (or NULL) path.

Since this change, all new mobile accounts on devices show with a blank (finder and self service only) dock. The default dock itself does not even load. I am under the impression that this is due to the change on the AD side, and the mac not finding the data it was looking for in the NULL directory.

Anyone know an easy way (without replacing student home folders) to solve this issue? While I do not mind showing users how to populate their own docks, it would be far easier to have the default dock load for the younger children.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester
4 REPLIES 4

bentoms

I'm guessing the accounts are local? If so, remove the mapping for the SMBHome from the directory utility plugin.

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

Know a fast way to do that (I assume there is a simple command that is avoiding my brain this early Sunday morning)? I can script myself if you point me in the right direction :)

bentoms

Looking at https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man8/dsconfigad.8.ht...

I think it's something like: ```
dsconfigad -sharepoint disable
```

Sean_M_Harper
Contributor

Indeed you are correct. ([-sharepoint enable | disable]) Thanks a ton for helping me to jumpstart my brain :)