Add Profile to iOS device, device stops seeing all wifi networks

duffcalifornia
Contributor

I'm trying to build out a proof of concept for my organization for iOS management. I enroll an iPad in our test instance, but as soon as it pulls down the profile I want to assign to it, the iPad stops seeing all wifi networks. Even if I add our public network to the profile, it sees zero networks. Any idea why this is happening?

6 REPLIES 6

ejculpepper
Contributor

@duffcalifornia Does the configuration profile you are deploying contain a restriction payload? If so, do you have the option for "Allow connection to unmanaged Wi-Fi networks" disabled? This will make it to where the device will only see wireless networks that you have deployed through Jamf (that is my understanding of the restriction at least). This wouldn't explain why your public network is not showing up, but may be something you can check to troubleshoot the issue.

As for why your public network isn't showing up, I've always been told best practice is that if you have multiple payloads being deployed, to use separate configuration profiles per payload. I've had some weird issues occur when deploying a configuration profile with multiple payloads. You may try deploying a configuration profile with your public network to the device first, then deploy the restriction profile to see if there is any conflict with having them both in the same profile.

miregan
Contributor II

If you have "Allow connection to unmanaged Wi-Fi networks" disabled in a config profile and are not deploying a managed wifi profile before it, the device will get kicked off the network.

duffcalifornia
Contributor

@ejculpepper @miregan

The profile has the "Allow connection to unmanaged WiFi networks" box checked and it results in all wifi networks not showing up.

miregan
Contributor II

Are you currently deploying a wifi profile set to auto join with no security?

duffcalifornia
Contributor

@miregan Whether I deploy a profile with no wifi information or with our public network/autojoin/no security, the networks still disappear.

Looking in the profile once it's deployed, it shows something about allow whitelisting of wifi networks, but I don't see a place to turn that off.

miregan
Contributor II

Hm, Im unsure than. There is actually a PI for Wifi dropping when a wifi profile is deployed set to autojoin with no security but this doesnt seem to be that issue. I do not have the issue you are having and we have all of our devices connecting to the open network. I dont even deploy a wifi profile due to the issue I mentioned above.