Adding printers with Self Service suddenly failing

alexkaloostian
New Contributor II

We are using Casper 9.97 and have not made any changes recently that I'm aware of. However, I'm suddenly not able to add printers with the Self Service tool.

Adding a printer manually works fine. However, we have policies set up in S.S. to make it easier for users. They click to install the drivers, then click another policy to add the printer. it has always been fine until this week. Now, I've noticed that when adding a printer, it shows up in the Print System pref as paused. I can open the queue and un-pause it. Yet any time I try to print I just get an error. Immediately- no pause while it spools or tries to contact the printer, just an immediate error that the printer is unavailable.

And the strangeness continues: when checking CUPS in a web browser: localhost:631/printers I get an Internal Server Error. I have to remove the printer from the Mac, and turn logging off and on again in order to see the rest of my printers once again.

A co-worker was able to view the broken printer queue in cups command line, and the "Connection" field was null. But the path is definitely there in the printer in JSS. Manually entering the correct lpd:// patch in the command line fixed the printer. But we obviously cant have all our users do this every time.

So, it seems as if the Self Service app, or the policy, is not correctly adding the printer any more, and this is borking CUPS in all sorts of ways. Anyone else see this or have some insight?

1 REPLY 1

mlavine
Contributor

@thoule Looks like someone else is getting the error you described last night at the Boston MacAdmins meeting.