Adding Serial Numbers to Apple DEP

kadams
Contributor

Hi everyone, hope you all are well. I have a question for you guys. I would like to add all of our computers to DEP. I generated all of the serial numbers in Jamf. I tried pasting them in the apple business device assignments. I get an error stating that the device is not accessible. When I add them one by one, it works. Does anyone have a method of adding many serial numbers at once to DEP?

8 REPLIES 8

afarnsworth
Contributor

Hey there, I would try using the csv template that Apple provides for a bulk import if you are having issues with putting them in with commas separating them.

sshort
Valued Contributor

If the upload errors out, it should offer to download a csv of the errors. A single bad entry will prevent the entire batch from a successful upload.

If the error shown for all is NOT_ACCESSIBLE then as far as I know none of the machines are eligible for DEP. If you bought them from a reseller like CDW or PC Connection you might have to contact your rep to have them do some magic on their end for your past orders.

sshort
Valued Contributor

Adding on to my previous reply... you can then exclude the Macs with errors and upload a csv of the “good” machines.

kadams
Contributor

It listed them as all not accessible. When I uploaded just one, it worked.

kadams
Contributor

@afarnsworth , where can i find this template.

brayg
New Contributor III

@kadams If you login at the link below then choose "upload CSV file" there will be a link to "Download Template File":

https://business.apple.com/#main/deviceassignments

Hope that helps!

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Can you add Macs to DEP if they were not purchased using DEP? You can with iOS devices, but I thought you could not do this with Macs.

AntD
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

It sounds like the computers have not been added to DEP. Did you purchase your Macs through an authorised Apple reseller?

If so you can get in touch with them and request they do that for you, even after the purchase of the devices. Some resellers may not have the required sales information for all of your Macs but hopefully most.

The reseller will need your DEP number (found in business manager -> settings) and you will need to add your resellers DEP number into your business manager account (same location as above).

As pointed out by another post there is no way to 'manually' add the computers into DEP like with iOS but reach out to your reseller, they should be able to help.

I work for an authorised reseller so know that this is the process. I hope that this helps!