Adding Visual Basic to Office 2011 Environment

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi!
I know we have some MicroSoft Office experts here:

I have Office 2011 on my installed base of 10.7.5 MacBookAirs, but no Visual Basic included...
I need to add VisualBasic as it is required on a newly purchased AddOn.
Last spring I tried to just snapshot the VisualBasic custom install, and push it out, but this did not work... admittedly I did not spend much time with this...is it workable?

My next thought is to remove the existing installation and replace with the correct custom install w/ VB included.
Most importantly I do not want to leave any computers in an Office Free void :)

Policy 1: on 15 minute trigger: Cache newly created package , with message to user at completion to restart at end of class.
Policy 2: At Startup: Run Before Script to Remove Office, install Cached packages, add a custom trigger for policy 3
EDIT: but this cannot run until the first policy is complete, so how do I trigger policy

Policy 3: Custom Trigger: install add on and any other items
Will anything else require reinstall? Silverlight and FlipForMac, MAU, maybe?

Any guidance anyone might want to contribute would be appreciated :)
Sandy

2 REPLIES 2

talkingmoose

Now why would you go do a silly thing like not install VBA in the first place? ;-)

If all you need to do is add VBA then I suggest using a choices XML file. I've got a page that explains what to do:

http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/administration/deployment/command-line/

In a nutshell, you'll deploy your regular Office for Mac 2011 installer along with a text file (e.g. "choices.xml") that includes the following text:

<array>
    <string>office</string>
    <string>vb</string>
</array>

Then you'll run this command:

installer -package "/path/to/Office Installer.pkg" -target / 
-applyChoiceChangesXML "/path/to/choices.xml"

I'm not sure how VBA will behave if installing a version that's older than the version of Office you've got (after installing updates). Be sure to test.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Thanks!

Now why would you go do a silly thing like not install VBA in the first place? ;-)

Inherited silliness :)