Adobe Acrobat XI Pro Update 11.0.02

pearlin
New Contributor III

I'm running into trouble with installing the AcrobatSecUpd11002.pkg (downloaded from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/11.x/11.0.02/misc/). I have a policy set up to deploy the package, yet I returns the follow error when attempting to execute:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Adobe Acrobat XI Pro (11.0.02)
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

I have also confirmed that it gives more or less the same result when using Remote:

Copying Adobe Acrobat XI Pro Update...
Installing Adobe Acrobat XI Pro Update...
Installing Adobe Acrobat XI Pro Update...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Adobe Acrobat XI Pro (11.0.02)
installer: Installing at base path /
installer:PHASE:Preparing for installation…
installer:PHASE:Preparing the disk…
installer:PHASE:Preparing Adobe Acrobat XI Pro (11.0.02)…
installer:PHASE:Waiting for other installations to complete…
installer:PHASE:Configuring the installation…
installer:STATUS:
installer:%7.280828
installer:PHASE:Writing files…
installer:%7.280828
installer:PHASE:Writing files…
installer:%36.701908
installer:PHASE:Running package scripts…
installer:%36.701908
installer:PHASE:Validating packages…
installer:%97.750000
installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
Unmounting file server...

Has anyone successfully leveraged this update with Casper?

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I saw a very similar error when deploying the Adobe Reader 11.0.02 update. Some Macs installed it OK, but too many of them failed with this same generic installer error.

Unfortunately, I can't offer much of a solution. I spent a few days digging around inside the installer package and saw that it was a bit complex, with lots of sub pkgs and each one with multiple scripts. In the end I chalked it up to Adobe's usual bad installer coding. I ended up doing something I rarely ever do, which is using a Composer snapshot (::shudder::), carefully looking through the results and cleaning it up, then packaging and deploying. It works fine now, go figure. Essentially, I bypassed all the stupid 'logic' and checks Adobe attempted to include in their installer.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

For Adobe Reader, we don't bother with updates. Jump through the Adobe hoop and get your grubby hands on their 'surprisingly compliant' PKG installer. Wrap and deploy it to your users, even if the Mac is logged off.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mm2270

@Don, where exactly would one get their grubby hands on such an installer? Link to register? I would like to know since, like almost all Adobe's products, Reader is subject to flaws and exploits, soooo, naturally our security teams want us to keep that up to date as well, like all of Adobe's other shi.. err, software.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

mm2270

Doh! thanks. And I even read that thread too. My brain must be tired today. :-/

Seide
New Contributor

I'm having a similar issue except I am installing Adobe Reader 11.0.06. I did get it from the Adobe Distribution site. It works on some Macs, but fails on others.

this is one error message in the logs:
Installation failed. The installer reported: 2014-01-28 14:09:42.528 installer[468:4007] PackageKit: ** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Office2008_en_automator.pkg 2014-01-28 14:09:42.532 installer[468:4007] PackageKit: ** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Office2008_en_autoupdate.pkg 2014-01-28 14:09:42.556 installer[468:4007] PackageKit: ** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Office2008_en_errorreporting.pkg 2014-01-28 14:09:42.578 installer[468:4007] PackageKit: ** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Office2008_en_fonts.pkg 2014-01-28 14:09:42.580 installer[468:4007] PackageKit: ** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Office2008_en_helpviewer.pkg 2014-01-28 14:09:42.581 installer[468:4007] PackageKit: ** Missing bundle identifier: /Library/Receipts/Office2008_en_ooxml.pkg installer: Package name is Adobe Reader XI (11.0.06) installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

Here's the other:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Adobe Reader XI (11.0.06) installer: Installing at base path / installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

Not sure why it works on some and not on others.

aamjohns
Contributor II

I'm seeing these errors more and more, and what is odd is some machines will install, while others fail.

Is there any log that details what exactly is going wrong that can be examined when these things happen?

Thanks,
Aaron.