Adobe After Effects cache files filling up lab computers

endor-moon
Contributor II

I take care of 4-5 Mac labs in a high education environment. We're still on serialized Adobe CC 2018 for the moment and will switch to shared device licenses in a month or so. Near the end of the semester I disable my data clean-up script so disks tend to get close to being full. However, this year I'm finding the culprit in many cases is Adobe After Effects caches, typically in this path:

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.AfterEffects

I'm debating writing a logout script to delete everything in this path. Has anyone else come up with a better solution? Cheers...

2 REPLIES 2

mickgrant
Contributor III

i just did a little googling about adobe AE cache and apparently you can limit its size and location by going to After Effects > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache.
as the cache is an important part of speeding up AE Usage, limiting the cache size to something reasonable might be a better option that a full flush, it will also negate the issue in the future as AE will just rebuild the cache when projects are opened anyway so it will quickly fill up again

abelsh
New Contributor

I am having the same issue with our student lab.  The AE cache seems to be the main culprit (and unfortunately we don't have lab managers, it's mostly maintained by the professors).  Did you come up with a workable solution?