Adobe Creative Cloud Installer Requires Admin to update after install

djrory
Contributor

Does anyone have a solution installing the Creative Cloud Installer?

We are finding that the first time our users open the application it attempts to update and immediately prompts the user for administrator credentials. 

We are downloading the app package as an Adobe Self-Service package that allows users to install and update the Adobe apps without admin rights however the initial update of the Creative Cloud Installer requires admin rights.

Any ideas?

11 REPLIES 11

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I would run this script after the Adobe CC Desktop app has been installed. It should fix the problem.

#!/bin/bash

### This script sets the required XML values for Adobe on managed devices

## Write out the correct xml data to file
cat << EOF > /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<panel>
<name>AppsPanel</name>
<visible>true</visible>
</panel>
<panel>
<name>FilesPanel</name>
<masked>false</masked>
</panel>
<panel>
<name>MarketPanel</name>
<masked>false</masked>
</panel>
<feature>
<name>SelfServeInstalls</name>
<enabled>true</enabled>
</feature>
<feature>
<name>BrowserBasedAuthentication</name>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</feature>
<feature>
<name>SelfServePluginsInstall</name>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</feature>
</config>
EOF

## Kill all Adobe processes
kill $(pgrep -i adobe)

## Launch Adobe Creative Cloud app as logged in user
loggedInUser=$(python -c 'from SystemConfiguration import SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser; import sys; username = (SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser(None, None, None) or [None])[0]; username = [username,""][username in [u"loginwindow", None, u""]]; sys.stdout.write(username + "\n");')

sudo -u $loggedInUser open -a /Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ Creative\ Cloud/ACC/Creative\ Cloud.app

exit 0

I'd personally replace the Python aspect of obtaining the current user and replacing it with Bash/Zsh, given that Python was removed from 12.3 onwards.

loggedInUser=$( scutil <<< "show State:/Users/ConsoleUser" | awk '/Name :/ && ! /loginwindow/ { print $3 }' )

We are already using this script, installing and updating the actual Adobe applications works as expected. It is the CC application update that prompts for admin. 

I will try with @Ecco_Luke python replacement suggestion below to see if that helps. 

no luck, python or bash, same result. 

Sorry to hear that. Maybe open a case with Adobe support, as they'll be able to see your packages.

dmccluskey
Contributor

I ran into this issue too

there is something wrong with the universal installer.

If you download the intel one and the m1 installers separately to deploy then updates work without issue.

I tried both installers for the same result unfortunately. All 3 installers immediately attempt to update and prompt for admin cred in our environment.

PE
New Contributor III

I ran into this issue too - Universal works on Intel but on M1 the update for Creative Cloud update ask for admin credentials 

PE
New Contributor III

It seems that the latest Installer (Adobe Creative Cloud v5.7.1.1) from Adobe solved the problem (for the M1) need to test for the Intel Macs.

PE
New Contributor III

Update: On Intel Macs it also works.

wifichallenges
Contributor

I have an m2 running ventura 13.5 osx version and my user hits this prompt from self service.... 

adobe version on self service is 5.6.5.58, but i mean if its an adobe app, shouldn't it have the latest version by default? why does it even need to update it??

The other interesting thing is that this application is not available on the MAC app store. So we have the IOS version for the ipads on self service, and it appears that it is using the IOS version of this... very confusing as i thought IOS applications were only for that. The IOS applicaiton is set to force updates so i really dont know whats up with that.

previously i had generated an installer from adobe portal and then copied them to the machine. On these new devices i decided to try self service. It works on an old macbook fine as a limited user, but not on this newer one... god i hate macs...

EDIT: figured it out... I had made a package for the mac, a long time ago, so no wonder it was out of date. nn