Advanced Computer Search and Wildcards

gskibum
Contributor III

I'm trying to build an Advanced Computer Search so I can save it and delegate some work.

Long story short, I can't get wildcards to work with Advanced Computer Searches at all.

If I use an asterisk for Application Title, I get nothing at all. However if I use a wildcard (asterisk) for simple searches it works. It's the Advanced Computer Searches that aren't working with wildcards.

This returns every app, as expected.

a6cbab460d1e45df9178344c7901d5b3

This returns nothing.

aa580038283a44769d5d1f265e9b3f18

Am I out of luck? I even tried to RTFM! ;-)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Instead of wildcards, use "like" and "has" queries. Pretty sure Advanced Computer Searches will just see an asterisk as a literal character.

A "like" or "has" query will have implicit wildcards. When I do a similar Advanced Computer Search for Application Title and leave the criteria blank, it returns all computers the way you'd expect a wildcard to.

These are two very different searches. The first search returns apps, the second search returns computers.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Instead of wildcards, use "like" and "has" queries. Pretty sure Advanced Computer Searches will just see an asterisk as a literal character.

A "like" or "has" query will have implicit wildcards. When I do a similar Advanced Computer Search for Application Title and leave the criteria blank, it returns all computers the way you'd expect a wildcard to.

These are two very different searches. The first search returns apps, the second search returns computers.