An error occurred attempting to mount the package

Angelworks
New Contributor III

I have a package named PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg - I ended up doing a capture because the app wants to grab about 20 gigs of sample files 😞 - its a large package at around 26 gigs.

During install I get this error:

Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package "PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg".

If I just double click on the dmg the OS validates the dmg and mounts it no problem.

I'm using JAMF Pro 10.31.0 and I'm testing on 11.x (I've tested this problem on 3 separate machines - including physical machines).

Anyone run into this and have a solution?

Edit: I ran the policy in debug mode:

Downloading https://edu/JamfShareDAV/Packages/PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg...
Verifying DMG...
Verifying package integrity...
verbose: Determining package type...
verbose: This is a standard DMG package...
Installing PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg...
verbose: Mounting DMG PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg as Shadow file...
verbose: Result of hdiutil mount: hdiutil: mount failed - File too large
Error: An error occurred attempting to mount the package "PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg".
verbose: Removing local copy...
verbose: not mounted
verbose: Removing local copy...
Running Recon...

Kind of an odd issue still - composer let me make the file, and when double clicking on the file it does let me open it. Oh well I'll try and split it apart.

Edit2: So nothing gets logged in the OS about failing to mount the image...

When I do it manually:

bash-3.2# hdiutil attach ./PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg
Checksumming Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…
Protective Master Boot Record (MBR :: verified CRC32 $751D4F0D
Checksumming GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1)…
GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1): verified CRC32 $D8D0FEA6
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2)…
GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Tabl: verified CRC32 $E05C2CA8
Checksumming (Apple_Free : 3)…
(Apple_Free : 3): verified CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B : 4)…
EFI System Partition (C12A7328-F81F-: verified CRC32 $B54B659C
Checksumming disk image (Apple_APFS : 5)…
.........................................................................................................................................
disk image (Apple_APFS : 5): verified CRC32 $C12CEAE2
Checksumming (Apple_Free : 6)…
(Apple_Free : 6): verified CRC32 $00000000
Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 7)…
GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table: verified CRC32 $E05C2CA8
Checksumming GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8)…
GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 8): verified CRC32 $D2E3B0B1
verified CRC32 $B7C388E2
/dev/disk2 GUID_partition_scheme
/dev/disk2s1 EFI
/dev/disk2s2 Apple_APFS
/dev/disk3 EF57347C-0000-11AA-AA11-0030654
/dev/disk3s1 41504653-0000-11AA-AA11-0030654 /Volumes/PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0
bash-3.2#

It seems to work just fine... Suggesting its some issue with the jamf agent itself.

Edit 3: (yes I'm insane)

I noticed the jamf log mentions attaching with shadow (which I think lets you write back to dmg files, but it discards the changes after you unmount)

bash-3.2# hdiutil attach ./PreSonus-Studio-One-5.3.0.dmg -shadow
hdiutil: attach failed - File too large

The OS kicks it back, it doesn't seem to get logged by the OS. I feel like this is an OS bug as the man page should at least say "with the shadow option the dmg can be only this big".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bsuggett
Contributor II

I've come across this before...

I narrowed it down to be an issue with certain versions of Composer... If the DMG is large, its creating the DMG in such a way that the jamf binary/hdiutil binary refuses to mount it with the -shadow switch...

Easy workarounds below...

1. Use a different version of composer.

2.Create the DMG using hdiutil from terminal (eg below)

sudo hdiutil create -srcfolder /Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Composer/Sources/INSERTPACKAGENAME/ROOT/ -fs HFS+ -volname "INSERTPACKAGENAME" ~/Desktop/INSERTPACKAGENAME.dmg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AlanSmith
Contributor

I am having the same issue with trying to deploy an Unreal Engine DMG of around 20GB!

I'm sure I have been able to do large packages previously! (Maybe not?) but it would be nice if there was somewhere in the documentation to warn us about any size limits!

Angelworks
New Contributor III

I ended up splitting the files into 3-4 different dmg files. Pretty odd issue though.

Do you have step by step instructions on how to do this one? We have a rep coming on Aug 17th to our University and I was hoping to be able to know how to do this before then. 

Angelworks
New Contributor III

I literally just manually added the files until I had enough for around 2 gigs, and then added more files for the next dmg.

That said - I think this issue is resolved in the latest patch. If you have a rep coming by they'll show you the basics.

The rep that is coming is with Presonus

Angelworks
New Contributor III

Ah ok - I would encourage them to provide more jamf friendly packages or at the very least documentation - in was a real pita to figure out ;).

I found that you can put your site license file in "/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/PreSonus/Studio One 5/user.license" - which will license any user who logs into the client.

The rest of the install I mostly used the Jamf Composer capture tool to figure out what and where to deploy files.

bsuggett
Contributor II

I've come across this before...

I narrowed it down to be an issue with certain versions of Composer... If the DMG is large, its creating the DMG in such a way that the jamf binary/hdiutil binary refuses to mount it with the -shadow switch...

Easy workarounds below...

1. Use a different version of composer.

2.Create the DMG using hdiutil from terminal (eg below)

sudo hdiutil create -srcfolder /Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Composer/Sources/INSERTPACKAGENAME/ROOT/ -fs HFS+ -volname "INSERTPACKAGENAME" ~/Desktop/INSERTPACKAGENAME.dmg

Angelworks
New Contributor III

Oh you know when I looked over my notes above - Compose would make the dmg no problem, but the jamf agent wouldn't mount it.

Yep... Composer will create the DMG no problem... Its only when the jamf binary attempts to mount it does the problem appear....

The root cause is "Composer creating the DMG in such a way that the jamf binary/hdiutil binary refuses to mount it with the -shadow switch."

As the problem comes and goes with different versions of Composer, it suggests jamf are performing code changes on Composer but I dont know for sure.