Another VPP question

catesr
Contributor

So apparently certain apps were loaded onto our iPads when they were free for a day or two. This is causing some problems as I am planning on using Casper/Apple Configurator to manage our devices. These apps, which are now not free, are requesting a VPP code. Any workaround for this or do I either have to purchase them, leave them off the iPads or forget about managing. Just so you know I am simply the tech with no say so over funds so I am trying to come up with a solution that 1) either will cost the district no money or 2) have a reasonable explanation on why we have to use the codes.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

qhle373
Contributor

You probably have to purchase them again, but are you using the same Apple ID in Configurator as the one they were originally purchased with? Just something I'm curious about.

Jnaz_islike
New Contributor

I found this very useful as with my first time dealing with Apple's VPP and Config. IT manager first time tips for an Apple iOS cart ipad-ipod. As far as for an explanation, I'll do my best to explain but if anyone has a better way to put it, please chime in. If you were to buy an app through the store, that app would be locked to that machine. With vpp codes while it can be assigned to a machine, you can always pull it from that machine and assign it to a different machine. So for example, you have a few ipads with apps on them that the end user will no longer use. You can always plug the Ipad into apple config and under supervision (if I'm not mistaken) you can remove the app and always push it on to another ipad if you wanted to. It's also an easy way to keep track of your apps that you have available for you to push. You can use apple vpp to purchase 30 apps, and use apple config to push them out onto whatever ipads that need those apps. Hopefully that helps, along with the link.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Please clarify where you are seeing this message, as how you proceed will 'depend'.

These apps, which are now not free, are requesting a VPP code.

DeanaE
New Contributor

If the app will still be used with the same Apple ID that 'purchased" it when it was free, you can install these from the App store from the Purchased tab. Configurator see them as an Ap that is not free so they can not be install with Configurator.