Anyone managing Loom?

jbanks
New Contributor III

I have a number of users that are using Loom, but don't have administrative access on their computers anymore.  How is everyone dealing with updates like this?  I see that it can be managed by Patch Management, but how do I push out the updates when they are sent as a .dmg?

5 REPLIES 5

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

use composer to make a .pkg

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I am not familiar with Loom, but if it works like any other application, you just need to install the app from the .dmg and use Jamf Composer (or any other tool) to build the package and upload it to Jamf. 

https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/composer-user-guide-current/page/Package_Building.html

jbanks
New Contributor III

I've built many packages and am able to build this one too, but I can't seem to get it to show up in Self-Service as an available app.  

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Patch Management can be set to either Install Automatically, or Self Service (which defeats the purpose of patch management), you cannot have both selected.

AJPinto_0-1717511201181.png

To have it display in Self Service, you would want to use a policy, and to enable the Self-Service Trigger as well as assign the scope. 

AJPinto_1-1717511241052.png

Patch Management has been largely retired by Jamf in favor of "Mac Apps" which uses Managed App Distribution. When using Patch Management, you generally want a policy to perform the install, and to let patch management handle the updates ONLY

jbanks
New Contributor III

Thanks for this.  All of my users have lost admin access, so this is causing issues with updating apps like Loom.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to manage apps that require admin access only for the install.  Loom doesn't need admin access to run, only update.  I'm going to have the user try the /Users/THEIRUSERNAME/Applications folder and see if that works for now.