APNS Errors

LyndhurstSchool
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have lost my ability to push profiles and changes to my devices. This is the error showing up in my log file:

IOException getting and entering feedback data: Received fatal alert: unknown_ca

We haven't made any changes in the last month and everything was working perfectly.

I already tried pulling the certificate down from apple and re-uploading into my database. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on this matter.

17 REPLIES 17

typeusernameher
New Contributor

Seeing this as well. People in Asia reported this 13 hours ago (http://www.sophos.com/ja-jp/support/knowledgebase/119235.aspx) and people in Europe have been tweeting about it for a few hours. Seems like a global issue with Apple. Unfortunetly Apples services page doesnt list APNs: http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

medesi
New Contributor

Same issue at our district in Indiana.

LyndhurstSchool
New Contributor

So it would appear that this is an apple issue, and I should not concern myself with it. I am however going to put a call into Tech Support so that they can light a fire under apple to get this resolved. Thank you all for easing my mind a bit.

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Yup. Same here in Cincinnati. Enrollment is fine, but no inventory updates or additional profiles can push.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Same here in UK. :(

DNies65
New Contributor

Same in CA.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Wow, I picked the wrong day to start playing around with Managed Profiles! Glad to see I'm not the only one having issues with APNS time-outs today.

steelopus
New Contributor III

Amazing timing. This morning I sat down with our K-12 superintendent to give him his first iPad.
Many thanks to Apple for making me look like an incompetent fool. HOORAY!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

FYI: My new enrollments are resulting in empty records.

Another weird anomaly:
I currently have 2 JSS instances, my original, 8.62 with more than 1500 iOS devices, and these are still checking in and seemingly, successfully updating inventory ... the only break in the action was from Thursday, April 25 2013 at 1:50 AM to Thursday, April 25 2013 at 6:35 AM but I cannot push a refresh to them...

My New JSS 8.6.4, with 3 carts, enrolled recently, were updating successfully until yesterday at 6:40 pm, and now none are updating, despite 2/3 of these now being past 24 hours...
While it's all well and good that this is at Apple's end... it makes me nervous to be seeing two different results ...
grrrrrr. S

vandenboschf
New Contributor

Same here in IA. No iPads have checked in today which is NOT normal. Is there a service disruption site to check on this anywhere for Apple?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Tweeted it... #apnsoutage

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi Again,
regarding my previous post:
I did not mean to imply that the JSS version was the issue, just wondering aloud....

My original JSS has a cert that came from the original iOS Developer Portal (back when you had to pay...), and is attached to a personal Apple ID
(This is ONE of a few reasons why I have a new JSS). This JSS is still getting inventory updates, though as I said, I cannot PUSH a refresh without getting APNS error: There was a problem communicating with the APNs Server

My new JSS has a cert that was generated using the Apple Push Certificates Portal, just about a month ago.
These devices have not refreshed their inventory since yesterday, and most are now past 24 hours.

Not sure if this is useful information, just wanted to clarify....
Sandy

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Yep problems here in Boston...

Command Date Queued Date Failed Update Inventory 2013-04-25 14:22:58 Cancel There was a problem communicating with the APNs Server Install Configuration Profile BPS Staff Email Profile 2013-04-25 14:22:58 There was a problem communicating with the APNs Server

sskelton68
New Contributor II

Looks like APNS is back up. My profiles finally went through.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Yes mine just went through as well.

Usman
New Contributor

I have the same problem "There was a problem communicating with a push server"
they have just install the software in the server. 1st day it was fine since then its making problem, devices are enrolling but no push command has been sent. except few in the beginning.

Marcel_75
New Contributor

Have exactly the same problem on the actual JSS 9.81.

All works fine with 10.10 Yosemite, but with 10.11 El Capitan (also latest 10.11.2) we get the error message:

"There was a problem communicating with a push server"

Already run jamf manage on the client again and jamf mdm says "MDM already enabled or not available" (it says so on working fine 10.10 clients but also on the problematic 10.11 client).

The MDM Profile is installed successfully on the client, also the "JSS Built-in Certificate Authority"-certificate is trusted in the system keychain and the individual push-cert including private key is available in the system keychain (the one with the UUID-like numbers).