App for simple AD user management on Mac?

hisaac
New Contributor II

I just found a wonderful little iOS app called Active Directory Assist (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/active-directory-assist/id528953910?mt=8) that allows you to do some basic AD user management from your phone (namely, unlocking a user's account, and resetting a user's password).

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a similar application for the Mac. All I really need to be able to do is reset a user's password or unlock the password. It'd be really handy to be able to see users whose passwords are expiring as well. It'd just be nice if I didn't have to load up remote desktop and log into the AD server to do simple tasks like that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

timlarsen
Contributor

The one that comes to mind is "AD Help Desk" which has been around for a while and is multi-platform. It definitely gets the job done on a basic level (unlocking accounts and looking users or computers up) but has limited functionality and doesn't let you move objects within the directory. It's also slow. Definitely worth a look though (available through the app store(s).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

corbinmharris
Contributor

I use it on my iPad & it does the job and quicker then logging into one of our AD servers via Windows Remote Desktop.

timlarsen
Contributor

The one that comes to mind is "AD Help Desk" which has been around for a while and is multi-platform. It definitely gets the job done on a basic level (unlocking accounts and looking users or computers up) but has limited functionality and doesn't let you move objects within the directory. It's also slow. Definitely worth a look though (available through the app store(s).

hisaac
New Contributor II

Thanks Tim. AD Help Desk isn't beautiful, but it does the trick.

prodservices
New Contributor III

Outside from an occasional keyboard quirk, Microsoft Remote Desktop (the Mac and iOS versions) both work great for us - in many ways much better ARD for remote access.