App Installers - Self Service Not Working - "This application is unavailable."

arobotfromspace
New Contributor III

Trying out the new Self Service feature added to App Installers. I'm testing using the Google Drive app. I've made the app selection from the Jamf App catalog, configured it for Self Service, and scoped to my targets. Whenever any of the computers/users opens Self Service and clicks to install Google Drive, we get the error: "This application is unavailable.  Try again later." from Self Service.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

It will be because the app hasn’t actually installed onto the computer yet. In the current implementation, the Self Service button switches from ‘Install’ to ‘Open’ almost instantly after it is pressed. Self Service displays the error that you have described if it is trying to open an application that does not yet exist on the Mac. Once the app has finished installing the ‘Open’ button will work as expected. We are aware that this current behaviour isn’t a great user experience and hope to improve it in a future update.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

arobotfromspace
New Contributor III

Okay, so it seems it takes some time for it to start working. 15+ minutes in my testing.

ega
Contributor III

Also in our testing if you don't remove the computer record after a reprovisioning the device you will see that error.

arobotfromspace
New Contributor III

After troubleshooting further, there seems to be some issues with Self Service not detecting when an App Installer application has been uninstalled. So it gets stuck on the “Open” button and doesn’t flip back to “Install”. Persists after refresh/reboot/etc.

I can confirm this behavior as well.  Hopefully this will be addressed in 10.48.  

JustinC
Contributor II
Contributor II

It will be because the app hasn’t actually installed onto the computer yet. In the current implementation, the Self Service button switches from ‘Install’ to ‘Open’ almost instantly after it is pressed. Self Service displays the error that you have described if it is trying to open an application that does not yet exist on the Mac. Once the app has finished installing the ‘Open’ button will work as expected. We are aware that this current behaviour isn’t a great user experience and hope to improve it in a future update.

thefritz02
New Contributor II

In my case, the button didn't change to Open until after the app (Firefox) was installed.  However, when the app is intentionally removed or uninstalled, Self Service persists to advertise the app as installed with an Open button when it obviously isn't there.  Even after an inventory update, reboot, etc.  

Another odd behavior that I noticed is that later that evening, several hours after I had uninstalled Firefox, it seems to have automatically been reinstalled.  In the table below, you can see when I originally installed the app via Self Service.  I then manually uninstalled the app shortly after.  The table then shows that it reinstalled later that evening and then updated yesterday.  Is this the intended behavior? 

InstallEnterpriseApplication - Mozilla Firefox - 114.0.207/03/2023 at 2:43 PM
InstallEnterpriseApplication - Mozilla Firefox - 114.0.207/03/2023 at 9:25 PM
InstallEnterpriseApplication - Mozilla Firefox - 115.0Yesterday at 1:55 PM

vantive
New Contributor III

Is this still a thing? Because I am just now experiencing this with the Box App on Jamf Mac Apps. Target scoped, manually removed app from computer, did a jamf recon and two hours later box app in Jamf Self Service says Open instead of Install. When you press open is says application unavailable try again later.

We recently went to version 11 of Jamf Pro. 

A_H
New Contributor III

I couldn't find a way to "flush" the policy (of sorts), so I was also stuck on "Open" after manually uninstalling an app.

I found if you un-check the "Deploy" toggle, save, and then re-enable, it flipped back over to "Install" to try again.

red_beard
New Contributor III

I'm still seeing this with apps. More specifically I'm currently experiencing it with Google Chrome. We have a cloud instance running Version 11.01.

I am too.....

jasonh11
New Contributor III

Seeing this to

willrichards
New Contributor

Seeing this with BBEdit as well