App PKG Installation Policy not working as intended

DonCascone
New Contributor II

Hi all,
I'm running in an issue concerning the installation of the OpenVPN app.
Basically I've deployed the after converting the .app into a .pkg via Composer, and the app works just fine untill our users need to connect via profile. If the user tries to connect to the VPN they are greeted with an error. 
My issue is that, if I try to download the application using the original .dmg file (but that needs an admin login, that our users don't have) and run OpenVPN afterwards no error occurs and both the profile and the app work just fine 100% of the time.
I think this leaves me with 2 options: either let our users download and install OpenVPN via .dmg but without any need for an admin password or I need to push to our users every file that the .dmg install on the computer and not just the .app.
I'd really like to go for the first option since it could be useful in plenty other situations but sadly I don't know how to do neither of them.
Thank you for the help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Upload the Arm pkg to jamf, add to policy, test, when your happy deploy.

composer is for when you don’t have a pkg or what to do something more bespoke with preinstall / post install scripts and more 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

The DMG has the app packaged for ARM and Intel? Why do you need to pkg in composer? (OpenVPN Connect 3_4_9) ? 

client-connect-vpn-for-mac-os

DonCascone
New Contributor II

Yup that's the one!
The DMG has both of the option inside but I'd need only di Silicon option since we have no Intel Mac deployed. The pkg in composer was my understanding of how to deploy an app that is neither in the app store nor in the jamf catalogue and it worked just fine for every other app that I need to deploy this way.
I'm new to Jamf and all this jazz so it could be that I made some basic mistakes and the solution could be pretty easy.

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

Upload the Arm pkg to jamf, add to policy, test, when your happy deploy.

composer is for when you don’t have a pkg or what to do something more bespoke with preinstall / post install scripts and more 

DonCascone
New Contributor II

It worked, thank you. Didn't think about just copy and pasting the pkg inside the dmg!