Apple Classroom - Different SSIDs

mtravaglia
New Contributor II

Hello Team,

We are testing the functionality of Apple's Classroom.

In our environment, Teachers and Students are connected to separate SSIDs.

Teachers are not able to see students when connected to a different network.

We were wondering if there is a way for the app to work on a multi-vlan environment.

There is no official documentation from Apple about this.

Has anyone encountered the same issue?

Best Regards,

Martino

7 REPLIES 7

gbyers
New Contributor III

My understanding is that it will not work on multi-vlan environment.

I did find this...

Apple classroom service on multi VLAN environment

Summary:
Apple classroom service is not supported on multi VLAN environment yet

Question:
Why my clients on two different WLAN running on two different VLAN are not able to see each other in Apple classroom service?

Customer Environment:
Customer using Apple Classroom service and teachers connects to staff wireless VLAN 116 and the students connect to student wireless VLAN 112. Teacher's iPad is unable to see the students iPads. If they connect the teacher iPad to the same wireless as the students, then they can see the student iPads.

Root Cause:
Service is not supported by Apple in multi VLAN environment and there is no bonjour service for it as of now.

Workaround:
No work around available, Apple need to add multi VLAN support and respective bonjour service for Apple classroom.

Resolution:
Cannot be resolved from Ruckus side as not supported by Apple.

mtravaglia
New Contributor II

Hi gbyers,

Unfortunately we did check that page already , but we were trying to find some official documentation from apple.

That article is dated February 2018 , so we were wondering if a new update is now allowing it.

Thanks anyway for the quick reply , let's see if anyone else has something to add.

Regards,

Martino

pairjal
New Contributor II

It is work. In my school, teacher and student different SSID and VLAN, first it is not working. After my network engineer change or add something on network side, it is then working.

mtravaglia
New Contributor II

Hi Pairjal,

Are you able to check with your network engineer which changes he made? That will be really helpful.

Thanks,

Maritno

apasatovic
New Contributor

Hello,

Here it is the link to the Apple official help.
https://help.apple.com/classroom/ipad/2.1/#/cadc1b9b4f8a

Kind regards

Adriana

apasatovic
New Contributor

Hello ,
I have the same question as Martino, as we cannot make the app working. The ipads communicate, but student ipads are still showing offline. What would be the changes done please.

Kind regards

Adriana

pairjal
New Contributor II

Hi @mtravaglia

I think, they just enable the port on the Firewall side. Refer to apple document, there is port need to be open.