Apple Configurator 1.3

galionschools
Contributor

I'm not sure if anyone here has tested the updated version of Configurator or was aware that they added the ability to install apps with the App Store disabled.

My excitement over this feature dwindled when I found an iDevice enrolled in Casper would error out if an app was added to Configurator and pushed to it. Removing the enrollment profile and using a profile created in Configurator allowed the feature to work. Bummer.

24 REPLIES 24

anne_benson
New Contributor II

Yes, I was giddy with excitement over this as well, but quickly realized that it would not work if the restriction was pushed out through JAMF.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Aw man! I was hoping that it would work.... ugh.... maybe next time.

Anyway, I thought I'd post these links of new KB articles that relate to Apple Configurator v1.3 in case anyone was interested.
~Joe

About Apple Configurator 1.3
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5769

Apple Configurator 1.3: Updating from an earlier version
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5771

Apple Configurator: Managing iOS device software
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5782

Apple Configurator 1.3: Documents added to a device while it is checked out may not sync
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4588

nsdjoe
Contributor II

I just read this on another forum about Apple Configurator 1.3:

"...profiles cannot be simultaneously applied to multiple unsupervised iPads,..."

Has anyone else tested this? Does this mean we can't apply Casper enrollment profiles via Configurator to multiple unsupervised iPads at once?

davidhiggs
Contributor III
Has anyone else tested this? Does this mean we can't apply Casper enrollment profiles via Configurator to multiple unsupervised iPads at once?

Just tested and it's true. One device at a time. If multiple devices are connected, you get a dropdown menu of all connected devices. If they are similarly named, i'm not sure how you would be able to distinguish them. I guess since profiles have to be manually installed, this ensures there are no time outs on a large scale deployment. Pretty annoying though.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

I don't have a sync tray here to test - can anyone explain how it's different than before?

Previously we put machines in prepare mode with just the wireless profile (or JAMF enrollment profile) installing. On each device, we had to manually click install. Once we did that click through, in Configurator, we got the green check mark next to that device.

Is it different now, can we not even do that?

davidhiggs
Contributor III

You can't do that anymore. It's like a mini wizard routine, asking you to connect the device (if not done already), select the device (if multiple are connected), clicking next, then accepting the profile on the device manually. You can't select more than one device, or leave configurator in a state that will accept all new devices conntected to the machine.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Thanks, David. So strange for them to make Configurator even worse to use. Hopefully I have a copy of 1.2 somewhere we can use, don't see any benefit to 1.3 for us.

itsjaf
New Contributor

Hi, it would be great, if anyone can share a copy of 1.2, I got fed up with 1.3. facing too many issues :(

Please help

bajones
Contributor II

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ldzpp9ajy7y82k/Apple%20Configurator%201.2.1.zip

Here you go. You'll have to delete ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.configurator (probably back it up first) or else the downgraded app won't open, but unfortunately you'll probably lose your supervised devices.

Hi, do you still happen to have the Apple Configurator 1.2.1 app available? The Dropbox link no longer works and I can't find this app anywhere. I need this version to run on OSX 10.8 and manage an iOS 6 device. Would be much appreciated, Thanks!

itsjaf
New Contributor

Hi Bajones
Thank you so very much for your great support and guidelines,

Many Thanks
Jaf

stevevalle
Contributor III

I upgraded to 1.3 this afternoon. The app has been great until I went to install my profile on 150 iPads. One iPad at a time :(

Haven't been able to find a copy of 1.2.1 until now! Thanks Bajones.

thomashugo
New Contributor

Bajones, you made my week. 550 iPad setup that could have taken astronomically longer all because I didn't research the 1.3 update before installing. No idea why Apple would take a tool designed for mass deployment and cripple it. Thank you for posting that link.

bajones
Contributor II

Glad to help. I hope I'm not violating anything by posting this application...

Vigeland
New Contributor

Anyone having problems with Configurator 1.3 crashing all the time? Is there a work around? I upgraded last week, and have to change names on a bunch of iPads and get a couple profiles on them, but it took me 2 days to get 3 done because of the constant crashing. I'm starting to run out of time...

bajones
Contributor II

Are you still using Lion? According to http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4613, this is a known issue.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We're sticking with version 1.2.1, don't really see a reason to upgrade to the buggier version

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

We are using Configurator 1.3 on Lion. It is definitely touchy when attempting certain tasks, and not consistent about whether the device should be plugged in or not when attempting to make a change.
I have not found it to be more or less fussy than 1.2.1.

Quitting and reopening AC helps a lot to keep the AC happy.
Sticking to a precise protocol for when you plug in the devices is also important.
We are also using a temporary wireless without any password, and I think this is also helping us get them enrolled in the JSS using Configurator.
We're enrolling with a tethered profile and then removing it. This gets them into the JSS, but then we'll have kids enroll using their AD creds.

We've completed our biggest group of about 800. We'll be testing the next group next week using 2 sync nodes with 10.8, to see if there's a big improvement.

The two biggest Attraction to 1.3:
You can put multiple versions of the iOS into Configurator, which became a big deal for us as Apple is sending back 2,1's as replacements for damaged 2,4's, and so these are now sprinkled throughout....
You can now apply the App Store restriction and Disallow Deleting Apps using Configurator 1.3, and with these profiles in place, Configurator can add and remove apps, eliminating the need to remove the profile/show the App Store prior to adding apps.
Previous to this, the only way to disable Deleting Apps was one device at a time, or by applying an encrypted backup though itunes, again one device at a time.

We are using the Institutional model as all our iPads are either in hands younger that 13, or in carts.
We are supervising all student iPads.
TGIF
Sandy

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Just so others know there's options, we disable deleting apps via a Configurator backup we restore on the devices. That backup just contains our basic dock and a few security settings we can't push through JSS (yet).

We use configurator 1.2.1 to wipe devices if not new, update iOS, load backup file, load wireless, and load JSS enrollment 40 devices at a time. We then do have to manually name, set restriction password, and hide self service in a folder on each device. Then we still (happily) load the apps via iTunes library. We also are dealing with under 13 year olds so have to manage the whole process.

I never liked Configurator and will be glad if iOS7 means I never need to use it to manage apps or supervise.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I would direct complaints about 1.3 to your Apple Rep. We are not upgrading to 1.3, as we MUST be able to apply profiles to multiple unsupervised devices at once. Hopefully iOS7/MDM improvements will allow us to do away with Configurator all together.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II
Hopefully iOS7/MDM improvements will allow us to do away with Configurator all together.

Agree +1,000

fsjjeff
Contributor II

@Sandy: You said:
"Previous to this, the only way to disable Deleting Apps was one device at a time, or by applying an encrypted backup though itunes, again one device at a time."

Just wanted to let everyone know I've found a way to push the 'prevent Deleting apps' via MDM. It's probably not officially supported, but it works. Basically, I create a Profile in Configurator with the limitations I want, then export it and imported it into Casper. I can't edit the Profile in Casper, but I *can* assign and push it to iPads.

This was a lifesaver for us, as we deployed 1200 iPads without that setting, and had dozens coming back for 'repair' after students deleted apps. This allowed us to push the setting remotely.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

We're using an unsupported method of OTA app distribution so that we don't have to rely on Apple Configurator or the App Store. I posted my workflow here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=7446

It'll work for both "Layered Ownership" and "Institutional Ownership" and has taken the headache out of using AC for everything. Of course its not perfect (and its not supported) but thought I'd share it with you all.

~Joe

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Looks like the option to install configuration profiles to multiple unsupervised devices is back with v1.3.1: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5833

Apple Configurator: Installing profiles on multiple unsupervised iOS devices Learn how to install a profile on multiple unsupervised devices using Apple Configurator 1.3.1. In some situations, you may want to install a profile onto multiple iOS devices without supervising them. After completing the initial Prepare process, use the following steps to deploy profiles to multiple unsupervised devices with Apple Configurator 1.3.1.

~Joe