Apple School Manager Clarification

dpenny
New Contributor III

I haven't been able to find anything definitive about this, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Does Apple School Manager automatically create managed Apple IDs for all of the students imported?

We do not want to use managed Apple IDs, all of our students already have Apple IDs. I just wanted to make sure Apple School Manager isn't going to automatically create them, before I upload a CSV file.

5 REPLIES 5

ygini
New Contributor

ASM will create Managed Apple ID. To avoid collision with existing Apple ID use the appleid prefix the domain side. It's made for that.

You aren't forced to use the Managed Apple ID even if its recommended from a supervision perspective (you can controller allowed feature for Apple ID, reset password, or break into an Apple ID of something illegal has been done)

ygini
New Contributor

Bu the way, why do you upload your students to Apple School Managed if you don't intend to use Managed Apple ID?

Managed Apple ID are required for supervision perspective and Shared iPad. If you just want Apple Classroom you don't need them.

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

So does ASM automatically create Apple IDs or not?

anne_benson
New Contributor II

Yes, it will create them AND if you upload an email address they are already using, it will give them a funky apple id and will remove the email address (but not give you an error)

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Yes it creates for every user. Apple suggests using the .apple domain prefix because the user may already have a personal Apple ID at their email address.

You would use ASM even if you are not using the Managed Apple IDs if you are looking for a connector from your SIS. (Just beware that if the SIS hasn't developed their automatic connector, that you don't automatically turn it on when they do. If you used a different unique ID for any of the tables then records will be inactivated when the 'new' ones are sent to ASM.)

chris