Apple Service Toolkit (AST) on NetSUS

etippett
Contributor II

Does anyone know if it's possible to run Apple Service Toolkit (AST) or the newer AST2 off of the NetSUS appliance? These diagnostics are the last thing keeping Apple hardware in our data center and I'd like to be rid of it if possible. Furthermore, according to the AST documentation, you can't run another NetBoot server on the same network as AST, so currently our AST is on its own isolated subnet to prevent it from tripping over NetSUS. It would be nice to be able to run AST diagnostics on the rest of our network by putting the AST NetBoot images on NetSUS.

I have a feeling this isn't possible, since there more going on with AST than just the NetBoot images (the Gateway Manager that uploads the results to Apple GSX), but thought I would check.

@colonelpanic I found reference in your JNUC presentation about putting ASD images on NetSUS; do you have any experience with attempting the same with NetSUS?

Thanks,
Eric

3 REPLIES 3

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

AST2 is web based, no?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

etippett
Contributor II

@donmontalvo Yes and no. My understanding is that the initial quick-check diagnostics (I assume comparable to MRI in AST1) are web-based but for any heavy-lifting diags that require booting a full OS you still need a local NetBoot server. If you have GSX access, check article TP1103

Thanks,
Eric

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Last time we checked, AST netboot still had to be on OS X and on not on a network with any other netboot servers. That is how we have ours setup.

Its very annoying.