Apple TV as Digital Signage

seraphina
Contributor II

To those of already using Apple TV for digital signage, what product are you using? How do you like it?

I was looking at Carousel and Kitcast since they both integrate with Jamf.
If you have used, or are using either of these products, what do you like about it? What do you dislike?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

ematos
New Contributor II

I am looking for the same exact response from anyone, I am also looking at Carousel. Please let us know the advantages and disadvantages :)

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I've not used either however we do have some schools still using a much older version of Carousel. For it's age it's doing well but I'm replacing it very soon so I'm in the same boat.

I looked at pricing for both and used their websites to guesstimate a total and Carousel is incredibly expensive especially if I wanted it on all of our 4th gen ATV's. Kitcast faired better but it's still outside my price range. I may just end up going with Rise Vision and use Raspberry Pi's in the areas I need signage.

nelsoni
Contributor III

I have been testing MDM Image Viewer (Now called Exhibit) a little and havent had it fully up and running yet, but Jamf does list it on there marketplace.

https://github.com/NU-ITS/exhibit

seraphina
Contributor II

@mainelysteve

We are actually currently using Raspberry Pi for our signage. I would not recommend going with Rise Vision as they are changing their subscription model and free displays will only be able to display URLs. So someone would need to design a website that acts as kiosk content. I would suggest checking out Yodeck, it's a little more involved to get your displays setup correctly, but the stability on the software is much better, and their pricing is better.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@mlizbeth Yep. I was informed of that awhile back since we were using the free tier at our HS. I was going toward a paid plan with them since I can get away with around a dozen players/displays and only be out around 800-900 per year versus the 8000 I was loosely quoted for Carousel and 2000 for Kitcast.

I'll give Yodeck a look, thanks for the suggestion.

jkingCS
New Contributor II

We built a custom app that lets you use Google Slideshows as Digital Signage on Apple TVs. It is easy and you can manage it all in JAMF. We've been using it all year really successfully and have been thinking about releasing it to the Marketplace.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Holy thread revival Batman! 

@jkingCS What's holding you back? I'm sure it will help many in the K12 or Higher Ed Jamf community.

For the record since my last post in this thread I'm switching from Rise to Ditto. We need CAP support and both support it, but pricing wise Ditto is the better option. You get decent cross platform wireless mirroring for those that show up with PC's running Windoze or the occasional GooglyBooks and the signage portion of it fits our needs quite well. Plus we've worked with AirSquirrels before and they're only a couple counties to the east of us in Ohio so it's good to support the local economy versus giving the canucks at Rise anymore of our money. 

jkingCS
New Contributor II

Haha! Not much at this point, just need to button up a few odds and ends. Let me know if you want to beta test. We will send out invitations in Test Flight in the next couple of weeks. I like the Ditto solution and used it lightly in the past! 

ger
New Contributor II

@jkingCS 

Hi ,

I’m also looking for a Signage solution by ATV.

We are an Apple Distinguished School and using JAMF School.

Could we help testing your solution?

regards

Gerard

jkingCS
New Contributor II

Hi Gerard! We've gone to market with our solution, check out www.simplesignage.app. We have a free, 2 week trial. v2 should be coming out later this fall and we might need beta testers for it. Shoot an email to info@simplesignage.app if you're interested. Cheers!

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I'm going to take your offer below in the coming weeks and send a trial request. I stepped back from a full scale Ditto deployment as we couldn't get their CAP support to work and plus we'd be shelling out a whole mid sized car worth of cash each year for it. 

Most if not everyone just update a Google Slides document on our remaining Rise Vision deployment. They nearly begged me to keep my account one more year and gave me a discount. The account managers and marketing folk kept emailing me saying Apple TV support!! Then I find out it could only display jpeg image files.

Sounds great! Shoot an email over to info@simplesignage.app. We'd be happy to get you set up!