Apple TV OS - Scripted Settings

AxminsterTools
New Contributor

Hi all

I have a number of Apple TV devices managed by Jamf Pro which are out in the field.
On the most part I can easily wipe a device and the correct Configuration Profiles are automatically picked up again once I clear any automated removal attempts. However there are a few prompts that require user intervention that I'd like to negate if possible.

What I'd like to achieve is an automated series of responses as follows:
Language: English
Enrollment to our site and MDM: Agree
Location Services: Enable

Once at the desktop I would traditionally also need to set the Screensaver Timeout to 'Never' and also enable the Application 'Unload' option.

I appreciate that setup options can be disabled but I'd like them preset and acknowledged which I imagine would be achieved via a script.

I then have an App enabled to autolaunch via Single App Mode which upon first launch prompts to make use of the Devices Location. I appreciate that this later part is down to the application but perhaps someone could point me in the right direction for this also.

Has anyone achieved anything similar?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

CorkCityShuffle
New Contributor III

Hi,

as tvOS is very similar to iOS / iPadOS you won't be able to script anything on those OS's. Everything possible can be found here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/dep027e1d5a0/web. You can check with ProfileCreator and iMazing Profile Editor too, for available options, but in the End it is very limited what you can do on an ATV

Thank you for taking the time to reply and enlighten me with the addition of the link.
It's helpful to be aware of what's possible in order to set the correct expectations.

AxminsterTools
New Contributor

What I find intersting is that a 'PreStage Enrollment' profile is in place for the devices and the Time Zone, Language, Region and Location Services are all defined. However these are not being skipped and still require the user to acknowledge.

AxminsterTools_0-1644488864841.png

Am I missing anything obvious here such as conflicting profiles?

CorkCityShuffle
New Contributor III

For them to work, you have to connect the ATV's via Ethernet. This does not work on Wi-Fi. The LAN needs to have direct Internet access, not via Proxy nor captive network.
Location Services have to been always acknowledged by the user

Thank you.
At present when wired I get the following in order upon a reset over ethernet:
1. Language
2. Region
3. Remote Management (MDM Acknowledgement)
4. Location Services (Yay or Nay)

I'll accept the MDM and location services option as you've pointed out but we are still seeing language and Region. Something's still not quite right.

That's weird. I just enrolled one last Friday and it worked out of the box.

Here are my steps:

1. connect ATV to HDMI, Power and Ethernet

2. turn it on

3. go for a coffee / tea (there is a 'brief' pause at the Remote pairing process, don't touch the Remote - 90sec.+)

4. Location Service

5. all done

If it's still not doing the auto advance, then I would create a new Prestage and test it again.

So I've just followed your example and carried out the following sequence:
1. Wipe Device
2. Made a Green Tea
3. Returned to device, engaged Remote
4. Prompted for Language
5. Prompted for Region
6. Prompted to install Remote Management (MDM)
7.  Location Services
8. Home / Desktop Screen

Can you confirm you are not prompted for the first 2 or 3 response items including the MDM?