Apple TV

EliasG
Contributor

This has nothing to do with Casper, but I am hoping someone might have an answer or seen this, I have some apple tv's where I can connect great with iphone or Ipads, but when a user tries to connect with macbook we get a " could not connect to apple-tv" I've restarted the apple tv, hard reset and factory reset and still get the error.

Any help will be great.

9 REPLIES 9

sunny_marie
New Contributor

Hey there, I have a few questions about the scenario. Is it happening with every MacBook you have, or just one in particular? Are they trying to use AirPlay for audio or AirPlay Mirroring? If the latter, have you verified that the MacBook is sufficiently new enough to support AirPlay Mirroring? Thanks!

tschaps
New Contributor III

If it's a newer Apple TV (3 rev. "A") which has the latest update and relatively new iOS devices, it may be connecting directly via Peer-to-peer wifi instead of going through your network. Only a relatively recent MacBook running Yosemite can connect peer-to-peer to Apple TV, and there is no real indication when connected whether you're connected peer-to-peer or (the traditional way) through your network. This is all to illustrate that there may be a big difference in how reliably the devices connect. I have found the new peer-to-peer functionality to be a better, faster connection, as long as you're close enough to the device (~<30 ft).
Are the Apple TV's connected to your network via ethernet or wifi?

EliasG
Contributor

Wifi, and it happens to a few macs, I brought mine in and it did the same thing

sunny_marie
New Contributor

I would start by verifying that the MacBooks are new enough to use Airplay Mirroring. The following link is for the mirroring requirements: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

Are you getting the error when trying to play audio or when trying to mirror? Or both?

tschaps
New Contributor III

It would be relatively simple step to connect the Apple TV(s) to ethernet and test the same Macs. Also easy to try is to turn on Bluetooth on an affected MacBook, if it is off. That has been known to cause issues.

Then I would probably list the specs of the Macs which have the trouble vs ones which don't and look for commonalities.

ben_hertenstein
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Had similar issue. Changed resolution on Apple TV from auto to 720 P.
It may not help with your issue. Ours was dropping connection after being connected to for short amount of time. Issue was with OS only, not with iOS.

EliasG
Contributor

These are new macbooks, they were purchased in July/August.

tschaps
New Contributor III

Do I understand correctly that some of these new machines work, and some don't? If so, then I definitely advise evaluating commonalities such as OS version and Bluetooth status. Also might be a good idea to click the wifi icon with the option key down on each Mac and note which AP the device is connected to ("BSSID"), the network name if it varies, and whether it's a 2.4 Ghz or 5.1 Ghz channel. If you compile this with the "works" or "doesn't work" data, you may find a correlation and an answer to your query.

EliasG
Contributor

Well we figured out the issue, and it was not the computers. Our network reset and peer to peer was blocked. Sorry about starting this thread!