Applications being seen as internal storage hard drives

NoviceAdmin
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have a user whose computer has "Chrome" and "Slack" listed as separate storage drives. While both Chrome and Slack on running on their machine, Jamf is continuing to list their computer as "unencrypted" since neither the Chrome or Slack "drives" are encrypted. They have also complained that when they update their computer, they have to "reinstall" Chrome and Slack, though I am not sure how relevant that fact is. 

In any case, this is the only user who has this problem, and we have the same configuration profile running on the same model with different employees without this issue. I'm not even sure how I would recreate this problem on a separate machine, so any advice is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

How is the user installing Google Chrome or Slack? From self-service or is the user downloading directly from the website? I'm asking because when you download either Slack or Chrome and open the DMG, it opens as a volume. So, it's possible the user is opening the application directly from the expanded DMG file instead of from the Application's folder. As for the Filevault issue, as far I know by default it is enabled and encrypts the main drive where the OS is installed. But, you can encrypt external drives but the user would have to do that manually. Have you confirmed that the mac itself has the filevault configuration profile and it's enabled? If it is and Jamf is still not reporting correctly. Then I would descope that mac from the configuration profile, disable filevault and let it decrypt. Then re-applyt he configuration profile and enable Filevault manually. Let it encrypt. Then do a sudo jamf recon. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

How is the user installing Google Chrome or Slack? From self-service or is the user downloading directly from the website? I'm asking because when you download either Slack or Chrome and open the DMG, it opens as a volume. So, it's possible the user is opening the application directly from the expanded DMG file instead of from the Application's folder. As for the Filevault issue, as far I know by default it is enabled and encrypts the main drive where the OS is installed. But, you can encrypt external drives but the user would have to do that manually. Have you confirmed that the mac itself has the filevault configuration profile and it's enabled? If it is and Jamf is still not reporting correctly. Then I would descope that mac from the configuration profile, disable filevault and let it decrypt. Then re-applyt he configuration profile and enable Filevault manually. Let it encrypt. Then do a sudo jamf recon. 

Thank you for that advice! Users are currently downloading the applications themselves; I had not considered that they may be opening it just from the DMG, and not from the applications folder. 
I did confirm that the mac itself has the profile and it is enabled. Let me ensure that they have moved Slack and Chrome to their applications, and then I will proceed with the rest of your advice! Thanks again!

You're welcome. Is there a reason why users can't install the software from self-service? Slack and Chrome are free software so it's easy to deploy that from self-service. This avoids the problems of users downloading software themselves when you can use self-service to do that. 

The reason is me being an unexperienced Jamf admin 😅 I just haven't configured self-service yet

Are you the only IT resource that manages your Jamf? There are plenty of resources including the Jamf admin guide on how to setup self-service and deploy software. You can use a script called Installomator to deploy software. https://github.com/Installomator/Installomator

Yes, and I will set-up self service eventually, it just isn't an immediate priority. It could have avoided this particular issue however. Thank for the suggestion, that is interesting!

This did indeed end up being the issue. When the user was prompted to move the Chrome and Slack to their applications folder, they had simply opened it from the installer instead. The installer had remained on their Desktop, and they never ejected it. I was unaware that doing this would make the application show up as a separate disk in storage, since I have always moved applications to the correct folder and then deleted the installer. 
I have now enabled self-service and will be forcing that in the future. 

SCCM
Contributor III

Install th enterprise version of chrome, then setup a autoupdate config profile for the deice so the users dont need to install anything themselves, it will just autoupdate
Download Chrome Browser for your business – Chrome Enterprise

NoviceAdmin
New Contributor II

I did not know this was a thing, thank you!