Just recently we have started to notice that any app that we send out to our iOS devices in Self-Service are not installing. Teachers will tap to install and it changes to "Pending" but just stays there. No apps are getting installed. We have tried this on different wireless networks thinking there was a block in place but nothing has helped. Does anyone have a possible solution for us to try?
I've seen this behavior a few times, but I've been able to do several things to resolve it:
1) Go into the App Store on the device and try to download a free app (like iBooks, or Podcasts). The iTunes Terms & Conditions have changed, and users will need to accept it before being permitted to download anything from the App Store. I've found that the JSS doesn't handle this well and app installs get "stuck" until this is done.
2) Once the app downloads (or starts downloading and is cancelled, which works for me), try doing an Inventory Update on the affected device. This has the side-effect of updating the Web Clip if it's out of date.
3) If necessary, power the device completely off and open it again. I've also found that closing the Safari page for the Web Clip is helpful.
4) Between the App Store download "clearing out the chamber" of pending installs and the updated web clip and accepted the Terms and Conditions changes, that seems to resolve the issue for me, every time.
This has been driving us NUTS. We never had the problem til we upgraded to 9. I've tried many suggestions and no one thing will work. Sometimes the devices need to be reenrolled. Sometimes just clearing out the old pending commands. I've noticed that a big one that always seems to hold things up is apps with VPP codes. They NEVER show the popup notification. We have to uncheck "manage app when possible" so that it gets sent directly to the App Store.
I know some of this isn't JAMFs fault- Apple needs to have a better system of pushing Apps.
Do you have age restrictions set in any of your profiles?
I have a 12+ app restriction on our iPads and I have an app in Self-service (google chrome) that is rated 17+. If I try to download it from self service, it loads, then disappears because of the age restriction, and it's left at "pending" in self service.
If it's not an age restriction, it may be some similar restriction that's keeping it from appearing on the iPad.
I have been working on solutions for this issue. I'm running JSS version 9.2.1 For me, The Problem lies within the JSS.
In the JSS, Mobile Devices, On the iPad in question, go to "History" / "Apps". Click on "Pending" tab, and Cancel the pending app. Clear out any "Failed" apps as well.
I came here hoping for a solution like, searching for Pending apps on the JSS, or a python script for clearing the "Pending" from the JSS.
Running this script also has helped. https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProductFile.html?id=209&fid=571
I had a discussion about this with my JAMF Support rep, he looked at a database report that I uploaded to Jamfnation, and mentioned that I had several database errors.
This was the fix, that seemed to help. I had to run it a few times, each time less devices were affected.
Run the following commands in terminal:
Log into MySQL: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -u jamfsoftware -p (standard password is jamfsw03)
in the mysql shell select the jamfsoftware DB:
delete from mobile_device_management_commands where apns_result_status != 'Acknowledged';
I've had a small number of iPads with this issue where none of the JSS fixes worked. However, I've been able to resolve it by using an app called PhoneView. I plug the iPad into my computer and in PhoneView go to Settings -> Advanced Disk Mode. Then I navigate to Disk -> Downloads and delete everything in that folder (you might see a .sqlitedb file and a folder or two). I then go into the JSS and remove failures or cancel pending requests for the iPad and then "Update inventory." Then on the iPad I quit Safari, restart, and go to Self Service to redownload the app. So far this has worked for all iPads that have had chronic pending app issues. In these cases I think its more of an iOS issue vs a JSS issue. If you've tried all the JSS fixes and still have a few problem iPads, try using a tool like PhoneView or other iPhone/iPad browsing tool (DiskAid, iExplorer, etc) and clear out the Downloads folder. Good luck!!
This algorithm has been working for me:
I have come into this issue before and I ended finding out that at one point the web server that was hosting the apps changed. This then got caught up in the firewall and blocked. One thing to try is to go into the web interface of the JSS and see if it will allow you to add a managed app. If not I would talk to your network security people about doing a sniff while you are trying to access the app to see where the connection stops.
Just want to let all you know, I followed alexwhite steps and get it work! (thanks! AlexWhite).
I think the trick is : "log in". On VPP assignments, its seems need to confirm this iPad has a user. So, I log in with one of my LDAP's account when I install the CA Certificate and MDM profile via Safari. After installed all profiles, it prompts out that " I accept install the VPP apps and ebooks or not". Coz I open the auto download as well, all my VPP assigned apps installed automatically!! WoW!
Hope this help all you guys.