Archiving old machines?

wstewart3
New Contributor III

We have a lot of old machines that have not completed a check-in, in quite some time.

I really would prefer not to delete these, as the data could potentially be useful in the future (Such as a FileVault recovery key, or user/program data).

Is it possible to "Archive" a computer? Or is deleting them the only thing JSS can do currently?

6 REPLIES 6

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Put them in a Static Smartgroup, name it [Archive]

wstewart3
New Contributor III

Doesn't this still eat up a machine license? At this point, about half the items in JSS are most likely not active anymore, or have been surplussed.

SVM-IT
New Contributor III

Only managed machines count against the license. When we retire a machine we add an entry to the comptuer's history including explaining why it was retired and may include a reference to a help desk ticket number.

wstewart3
New Contributor III

Ahh I think the problem is I dont know how to mark machines as "unmanaged"? Is there a KB on this? A quick google did not return the results that I wanted.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@wstewart3 When you're looking at Inventory->General for a computer click the Edit button and you can un-check "Allow Jamf Pro to perform management tasks" to make a computer unmanaged

wstewart3
New Contributor III

Is there a way to do this using a smart group? Or in Bulk?