ASM and managing classes

ross_burdick
New Contributor II

We import our information from Infinite Campus to Apple School Manager, and then on to the JSS. My question is there any way to edit the classes that are imported from ASM. I need to add teachers locally to the classes as they aren't added in Infinite Campus. I tried to clone the class, but they to are unable to be edited since it came from ASM. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Ross,

If those classes are imported from ASM, you could manually add a teacher but they would be wiped out with the next sync. A potential workaround for this would be to add that teacher to a user group and then add that user group to the class. That should not be cleared out with a sync. Otherwise, if you manually add them and then stop the syncs, the additional teachers would not be removed.

Matt

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Ross,

If those classes are imported from ASM, you could manually add a teacher but they would be wiped out with the next sync. A potential workaround for this would be to add that teacher to a user group and then add that user group to the class. That should not be cleared out with a sync. Otherwise, if you manually add them and then stop the syncs, the additional teachers would not be removed.

Matt

rusty_adams
New Contributor III

So, this is relevant to the topic heading, but not so much to the body of the OP.

We also have Infinite Campus info going into ASM, and then from there into JAMF. Been using it to select pilot teachers in advance of turning them all loose with Apple Classroom. Today I logged in, searched for a teacher, got the 5 hits I was expecting, then checked the box at the top to select them all for import.

Didn't pay enough attention (totally on me) to the summary and Hit OK.

Well, that checkbox evidently selected all unimported classes.....

Not the end of the world, but something to be aware of when you import your classes.

As to the original post, are you not getting a teacher at all from the IC sync, or do you just need to add extra teachers? You can use the Staff History tab in the course in IC to add more teachers, but in my case, doing that would throw off some state reporting so that may not be an option for you.

ross_burdick
New Contributor II

Yeah, we can't mess with IC side due to the state reporting and such. I'm looking at doing a .csv import as we are going to be ramping up our device count this coming year and I need to be able to have more control over the class rosters that we bring in. Was nice having the IC sync, but it's become more of a pain than I want to deal with. I am going to try the user group idea that Matt suggested though. It may do the trick. Thanks!

ross_burdick
New Contributor II

Update: Making a user group with the teachers we needed to add worked like a charm. It stays put through the Infinite Campus sync. I am in business. Thanks Matt!