ASR in Sierra not working to create Restore Partition

paulaust
New Contributor

I have been using the same script for several years now to partition off a Restore partition and to asr restore a restore partition into our build. Since Sierra, its not longer working. What I am getting is an error that reads "Could not change the partition type for /dev/disk0s3 - operation not permitted". Even running the commands manually at the prompt with root permissions results in the same thing. If I run the same script on El Cap and lower, no issues. I am not finding that any information online about changes to the asr command. Has anyone run into this one yet, and if so, were you able to find a workaround?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

mikeh
Contributor II

I'm running into the same thing, although I'm using Per Oloffson's Create Recovery Partition Installer script. I suspect that SIP in Sierra is a little more aggressive about protecting some of the files necessary to install a recovery partition.

The only workaround that I've found so far is to boot the system into Internet Recovery, and reinstall Sierra. Not the best solution in the world by any means.

mjsanders
New Contributor III

Are you changing partitions on the disk you booted from?
I had some problems in that area on 10.11 using DeployStudio (which is using its own wrapper 'Runtime' around the same asr commands) from a local disk. (NOT while netbooted)

I could use a workaround by making the right kind of partitions before the asr started.
It may be different than you issue, but give my report a read, it may give you an idea how to work around your issues.
https://www.lai.nl/en/local-deploystudio-setup-for-classes-10-11-issues-solved/