Assigning license to Free apps?

Sirsam28
New Contributor II

Hi all,

New to Jamf and I'm not seeing the connection on getting Free apps deployed. I followed the steps in the Jamf 100 Course but im getting "Pending - All licenses are in use or the license is not assigned yet".

So I went to Apple Business manager and added 1 licenses for the application (im testing this). Made sure the VPP was configured inside of Jamf. What am I missing??

This is a 100% free app... why/where do I need assign a license?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wkelly1
New Contributor III

Did you set the location under Managed Distribution on the app's page in Jamf?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Sirsam28 Unless you've only got 1 Mac in scope for the app you've configured you're going to get that error. You'll want to have at least as many licenses as you have machines in scope for the app, and if they're free it doesn't hurt to have extra licenses to allow for expansion of your environment.

Sirsam28
New Contributor II

Thanks for that. So yeah I did a direct target to my test computer. I can add more licenses in Apple Business Manager. I have also recreated the app in Jamf and still getting the same thing. Is there something I am missing between Apple Business Manager and Jamf (besides the VPP)?

wkelly1
New Contributor III

Did you set the location under Managed Distribution on the app's page in Jamf?

Sirsam28
New Contributor II

So, I figured out my mis-step. You were right... no location set so it couldn't pull the license. Works now !!! Thanks 

jdaniels1
New Contributor

I am having the same issue and have the location set in the app page in Jamf. What am I doing wrong? I am new to using jamf still.