Auto-unassign computer based on AD user account status (Active vs Inactive)

jstine
Contributor

Hey Friends,

Has anyone successfully set up a method to auto depro a user from Jamf? I've been tasked with helping out our help desk with offloading, and I'm triyng to figure out a way to use the Jamf API to automatically remove the user assigned to the machine in Jamf.

Has anyone figured out a simple way to do this or could point me in the right direction? Admittedly my API skills are limited, any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Not tried it but just put this together to get you going. It needs the code to check Active/Inactive for the user in AD, but in theory, if attached to a policy to run at login, it should update the location information, clearing out whats there.

#!/bin/sh

apiUser="your_api_username"
apiPass="your_api_password"

####### Test
# some code to read users active / inactive status from AD here...

####### Advanced modification below this line #######

if [ result_of_above_test == "Inactive"]; then

# Save the local machine's serial number
serial=$(system_profiler SPHardwareDataType | grep 'Serial Number (system)' | awk '{print $NF}')

# Create the XML file to be uploaded to the JSS
cat <<EOF > /private/tmp/$serial.xml
<computer>
 <location>
   <username></username>
   <real_name></real_name>
   <email_address></email_address>
   <position></position>
   <phone></phone>
   <department></department>
   <building>Roaming</building>
   <room><room/>
  </location>
</computer>
EOF

# Read the JSS URL from the local machine
apiURL=$(defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf jss_url | sed 's:/*$::')

# Update the Location section of the computer record
curl -sfku $apiUser:$apiPass $apiURL/JSSResource/computers/serialnumber/$serial/subset/location -T /private/tmp/$serial.xml -X PUT > /dev/null
    # Note - the "location" bit is a guess.  Need to check thats actually what it's called.

# Remove the saved XML file
rm /private/tmp/$serial.xml

fi

exit 0

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Instead of using the API, you can just run recon with the -username and other parameters. see 'jamf help recon' for more info.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

That's was my first thought. Would it work to remove details? Would be a lot easier if it did.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If I recall correctly from another thread, you can't use the jamf recon syntax to remove location information, only to assign it or update it. It won't accept a blank value I believe.

jstine
Contributor

I've actually never used Recon. I will look into that as an option as well, thank you!