Auto Update

JKnightley
New Contributor

Afternoon,

Does anyone have any information regarding turning off auto updates via terminal command, script etc ??

Using Composer to create the application but don't want users to be promoted upon first run.

Kind Regards

James

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Erhm, what application(s) are you referring to? There has to be hundreds of apps that have auto update functionality, as well as the OS updates themselves. It would help to know which one you mean.

Look
Valued Contributor III

What he said...
Every application outside of the Apple ones (and even some of those) does it differently.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Same as the others from me I'm afraid.

In most cases you're looking for a key in a preference file that you can control with a custom configuration profile. There are some apps that don't follow Apple's guidelines (such as Flash) that you have to do other ways.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@JKnightley what app is it?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Oh. NVM, I see it's VLC.

Try Extingquish from @Banks.

It can create a config profile that overwrites the VLC Sparkle Updaters UpdateFeedURL.

JKnightley
New Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the confusion, yes i was referring to VLC Media Player.

I created the discussion from the third-party products page for VLC, I guess this was the wrong way ??

I was using composer to capture the files which were being modified but could not see the file i needed.

Thanks

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@JKnightley here's a link to our VLC mobileconfig that suppresses the update prompt and also the metadata sync popup that appears from time to time.

https://github.com/amsysuk/public_config_profiles/blob/master/vpn_menu_item.mobileconfig

You can upload it straight into the JSS.