Automatic device enrollment

Sonam2021
New Contributor III

Hi,

Devices enrolled via ABM do not appear in Search inventory in Jamf Pro,But the device is available under scope in Pre-stage Enrollment Tab

Is this how it works ? ADE enrolled devices wont appear in Search inventory?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Devices has to complete the enrollment to appear in Inventory. Until the devices are enrolled through Remote management they dont appear in Inventory. Pre-stage will show the device as soon as its added to ABM.

View solution in original post

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Depends on where the device is in it's deployment phase. If you've already handed the machine off to a user then I'd say let it be. If you still have it in hand then there is no harm in wiping the drive, installing the latest supported OS and enrolling using ADE. 

1. If the policy has the enrollment trigger it will run regardless if it's through a UIE or ADE. 

2. Yes, you're able to add configuration profiles directly to a pre-stage. Now whether or not one will cause issues is another thing so I keep them out of my mine. I  scope mine to smart groups so they install after enrollment.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Policy triggers aren't really affected by your type of enrollment.

If you have a policy set to recurring check-in it will run the next time the jamf binary on a machine checks in with your Jamf Pro instance. That usually happens when the binary is first installed then on a schedule after that. The enrollment trigger runs when the binary is first installed then never after that unless you set it to ongoing and either use a custom trigger in terminal or place it in Self Service.

If your install base is large enough then I might suggest you look into the Jamf 100 Training Course to get yourself more familiarized. 

5 REPLIES 5

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Devices has to complete the enrollment to appear in Inventory. Until the devices are enrolled through Remote management they dont appear in Inventory. Pre-stage will show the device as soon as its added to ABM.

Sonam2021
New Contributor III

So is it  recommended to enroll through Remote management after the device is added to ABM ? 

Reconfirming the below points :

1. Policies are applied for user-initiated enrollment devices and to those devices who are enrolled via Remote Management right ? 

2. Configuration profiles can be added as part of Pre-stage + deployed to user-initiated enrollment devices 

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Depends on where the device is in it's deployment phase. If you've already handed the machine off to a user then I'd say let it be. If you still have it in hand then there is no harm in wiping the drive, installing the latest supported OS and enrolling using ADE. 

1. If the policy has the enrollment trigger it will run regardless if it's through a UIE or ADE. 

2. Yes, you're able to add configuration profiles directly to a pre-stage. Now whether or not one will cause issues is another thing so I keep them out of my mine. I  scope mine to smart groups so they install after enrollment.

Hi Steve,

Thanks you for clearing my doubts, I have just recently started using JAMF pro, so my questions may sound silly.

We will be adding our new ABM devices to JAMF PRO via ADE, so in such case do we need "Remote management" configured 

1. If my policy is just set to "Recurring check in" still the ADE devices will receive the policy or it has to be set to "Enrollment"? 

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Policy triggers aren't really affected by your type of enrollment.

If you have a policy set to recurring check-in it will run the next time the jamf binary on a machine checks in with your Jamf Pro instance. That usually happens when the binary is first installed then on a schedule after that. The enrollment trigger runs when the binary is first installed then never after that unless you set it to ongoing and either use a custom trigger in terminal or place it in Self Service.

If your install base is large enough then I might suggest you look into the Jamf 100 Training Course to get yourself more familiarized.