Automatic User Logout

Gennaro
New Contributor III

Hello,

We've recently been getting reports of users not being automatically logged out after the timeout set using the built-in jamf config profile settings. It seems like its not working at all, we've confirmed that theres no conflicting profiles that should be affecting it. We're currently on Mojave.

Anyone have any similar issues and recommended fixes for this?

2 REPLIES 2

iVoidWarrantiez
New Contributor III

I have had this issue on and off for a bit. I get a lot of students that leave MS Word or Adobe PS open when prompted for log off it is not complete because something is unsaved. Even though they have been idle for 3 hours. But also have issues with nothing open just simply not logoff or shutdown was ran like it should have. No solution yet but hopefully someone has one.

teodle
Contributor II

Historically, the "LogOff after X amount of inactivity" setting for Mac Public computer labs has never really been that useful because of how "inactivity" is defined. In order for this setting to work, it almost seems the user has to consciously and methodically quit all apps and processes manually. It seems to me that about 50% of users will always log out, and 50% will never logout or quit anything. Fast User Switching allows others to use the Mac when someone forgets to log out and the screen locks. We have our lab student assistants simply shut the machines down at the end of the day--even if it means forcing logout of all straggler accounts. If they forgot to save changes to a Word doc, that's not our problem. The next morning at 8AM, the computers fire using a scheduled startup and run a startup policy that removes all home directories. So the Macs are ready to go for the new day. There's a notice in the login banner that tells them that user-created files are wiped daily. This practice also keeps the public Macs free of keychain errors.