AWS Distribution Point - Cloud DP or File Share DP

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Just wanted to get opinions on what protocols you guys use when hosting a server at Amazon AWS

Should I setup a cloud DP in JSS, or just simple SMB File Share DP

In your opinion what are the advantages of using a Cloud DP?

5 REPLIES 5

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

The cloud distribution point may be more accessible to people depending on your situation, if you have a lot of remote workers or a lot of laptops people use outside the office. Also perhaps it's easier for you to setup than getting a Mac Mini and setting up a fileshare.

Right now there is no relationship between an AWS DP and a local DP, ahem JAMF, but you can specify distribution points based on a device's network segment. Keeping in mind there is a small time period when a device is on a different network but hasn't checked in yet where it may go to the wrong DP.

wmateo
Contributor

so there is no relationship? you cant replicate?

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

You can replicate but a computer can not use a cloud DP as backup DP and vice versa

wmateo
Contributor

are you using the JSS are your primary JSS? that would be my goal ultimately. I want to still keep my JSS on prem, and have my clients check in...... externally.

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

@wmateo What you want for that case is a Maser JSS and a JSS running in limited access mode sitting in your dmz.
As per this article.