Backing Up Apple Configurator iOS backups

PAC
Contributor

We are setting up a Mac mini as a bit of a Mobile Device kiosk for the techs to use when setting up / fixing / managing Mobile Devices.
We want to have an external NAS or Storage device where we can put the Backups for safe keeping.
Has anyone done this?
Can i change the default location of the backups ( ideal setup)?
Or maybe run a robocopy style job to move them over for safe keeping?
Time Machine could be an option but will be hard to go back and find the Backups if we ever need to find them and we would need to remove them from the mac mini eventually due to storage issues

We don't want to have to buy such a large storage mac mini and put all our eggs in one basket.

Much Appreciated pete

4 REPLIES 4

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

If you read the section of this article named "Manually changing the iTunes iOS backup folder on macOS" does it answer your question? If not, please rephrase?

[edit] I just reread your subject - you are looking to change the backup location for devices backed up with Apple Configurator 2. I just tested, and it uses the same location as iTunes - ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSyncBackup - so you can create a symlink as the linked article suggests.

[edit] @PAC

PAC
Contributor

Thank you very much for this link @cdenesha, thanks for testing that, this should work really well. I would have thought there would be an option to change location in the GUI, but i guess apple don't think there tool for corporate mobile devices would be used in Corporate environments :)
Thanks again

PAC
Contributor

With the removal of Itunes of OSX is it still the same location?
@cdenesha

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I tested in Mojave