Best Practice deploying bootcamp in dual boot

Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I need to configure dual boot using boot camp, followed instructions using winclone imaging XP and configured 2nd NTFS partition pointing to winclone image in casper admin, imaging progress gets stack when winclone package is reached, is any body deploying boot camp successfully, I'll be very interested to hear from you,

Kind Regards,

Andrew Xenophontos

Moriah College

Bondi Junction NSW

8 REPLIES 8

Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

I've been deploying Windows through Casper for years via Winclone. How is your Sysprep setup configured? It could also be a bad copy of the image. That's caught me on more than one occasion.

Oh, also, did you shrink your Windows partition via Winclone? That's something that caught me too.

Joey Jenkins
Senior Macintosh Operator
Duke Clinical Research Institute
joey.jenkins at duke.edu<mailto:joey.jenkins at duke.edu>
919-668-7628

Not applicable

Hi Joey,

I've being exploring with casper only since July this year and there is still so much to learn. Basically I've followed the instructions in the knowledge base article 283, as well as what I was able to search the web relating to boot camp deployment, dual boot partitioning, winclone etc. What I would really like is a guide of the processes involved from creation to deployment to help make sense of the work flows involved. I would appreciate any material available

Kind Regards,
Andrew Xenophontos

kerouak
Valued Contributor

I have a winclone image that I was deploying via deploystudio successfully.

Ive used that image in a Dual Boot Casper Config.
All is well until; I reboot, then the image has not been deployed to the Windows partition (no data at all)
Anyone any ideas?

tu-egadsby
New Contributor

Rob,

Hi. I've seen this happen before. How are you booting Casper Imaging? Are you using a thumb drive, hard drive or Netboot. From what I've worked out (by watching Activity Monitor) Casper Imaging copies the image to the active boot disk first and then clones it over to the bootcamp partition. If you bootdisk does not have enough space then it doesn't clone but Casper Imaging's GUI doesn't report the error. The solution I've found is to use WinClone's build as package feature and set the install to run on the fist boot but I use USB drives too boot. If your using Netboot you and increase the Netboot image size using the following article: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=198

This is something I've encountered and may or may not be related to your issue. I hope this helps!

marktaylor
Contributor

Hi

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago which cost me days of test imaging but we got it to work by doing the following:

Open Casper Admin
Drop your winclone image directly into the Packages Folder on your Casper Share instead of in Casper Admin
This will get it into the share without the zipping taking place.
Next reopen Casper Admin, open the Configuration, select the Partitions tab and you should be able to add your winclone image

I hope it works for you too.

Mark

marktaylor
Contributor

Ignore above, I stuck it in the wrong post :(

kerouak
Valued Contributor

I wish someone would post a simple guide as to how to accomplish this as I am losing the will to live!! We moved to Casper, and it's been a nightmare!! Deploystudio "just worked"

tu-egadsby
New Contributor

Rob,

What's the nightmare, the deployment of Windows OS's or everything? I have to admit imaging isn't Casper's strong suite, see https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/pipermail/casper/featureRequest.html?id=1155 but there are many other features that make it worth it. I would tell you to work with your reps to see if they can help you. Was my post of help to you? Thanks!