Best way to deploy office 2019 w/ serializer on macs

EliasG
Contributor

What is the best way to package and deploy office 2019?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

john-hsu
New Contributor III

@EliasG You shouldn't need composer for the volume serializer since it a pkg file. As others mentioned, if you want to serializer to install after the Microsoft Office package, set its priority in Jamf Admin:

ac21cb73b111419d8f00adeaa401807d

Could you screenshot your policy?

View solution in original post

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@EliasG You can't capture a license with Composer. As @john-hsu implies, add the serializer .pkg you download from the Microsoft portal to your DP, and call it in your policy that installs Office.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

Tangentism
Contributor II

You can get the suite and individual app pkgs from https://macadmins.software

I run 2 policies: One to cache the packages because of the size & the second to install the specific cached packages. I have the volume licence key packaged separately so I can uninstall it easily without removing all the apps.

seraphina
Contributor II

Here is our policy, sweet and simple. It doesn't update inventory because it runs as part of DEPNotify, which will recon at the end of the "imaging" process.

5cb449a4918e40628c60daef2a94242d

EliasG
Contributor

@mlizbeth Im trying to package both in as one in composer do you think that will work?

JMR
New Contributor II

You could put together an installer package using Composer that would copy both the MS Office installer and Serializer to a temporary location and include a postinstall script to run the two in sequence using the installer command then remove the two once that is completed. That would work.

acb95978
New Contributor II

Just to chime in, I also use a single policy with two packages, exactly like @mlizbeth. I don't know if packaging both in Composer will work but I would advise against it unless there's a specific need in your environment for it. Having the packages separate in one policy works perfectly and allows you to update the policy easily by just uploading the updated installer and changing the installer package in the policy instead of having to rebuild a composer package every time you need to update.

john-hsu
New Contributor III

I would keep it one policy, two separate packages. Since new versions of Office 2019 come out every month, it would save a whole of time. Also, I've noticed from time to time Office 2019 becomes unlicensed after applying updates. I have a policy available in Self Service that re-installs the serializer so that the users can re-serialize office if it becomes unlicensed.

seraphina
Contributor II

@EliasG

When I first started as an administrator, I wanted to put everything in one package, from Adobe to Office. In my experience, and I am sure others too, keeping it modular is better because it can be reused in multiple different ways. That's not to say that installing Office and the Serializer and capturing with composer won't work, just that if someone needs to be reactivated and that is your only package, it turns out to be a ~2GB download.

In one case when I was deploying Office 2019 for the first time, it upgraded the Office 2016 users to 2019 but did not serialize properly and I had to run the seralizer separately instead of the giant activated package. Just my 2 cents though, there is no wrong way to approach this.

JMR
New Contributor II

One year I put all my configuration type packages into one super-giant package for deployment to a bunch of student labs. I wrote a script that installed all the packages in alphabetical order and I was really impressed with my ingenuity. At the time (for some reason) I thought it would be really cool and I figured I wouldn't need to change any of the individual component packages over the course of the year. Except I did have to make changes and it was a massive pain having to replace individual components by rebuilding the super-giant package each time. So yeah probably don't do that. Keep it all separate if you can.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

I'm on the super granular, Individual policies for everything and anything that needs deployment train. As stated by others above...

1 Policy, 2 Packages.

MS Installer - Deployed 1st

MS Serializer - Deployed 2nd

Done Deal. Easy to swap out the package on the fly to the latest version of ms office.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

@Hugonaut for us Noobs could you, if it's not to much trouble specify the workflow a bit more in detail here for testing?

seraphina
Contributor II

@CorpIT_eB

The workflow is likely the same, if not similar to the image I posted above.
Make a policy -> add the Office Installer -> add the Office Serializer -> Scope it
and it will install Office first, then serialize the installation.

If you want to deploy a new version of Office 2019, just upload it to the JSS, go to your policy and select the new Office pkg.
I like to delete both packages from the payload and reselect Office 2019 and then the Serializer just so I know it executes in the proper order: Office -> Serial license

However in my environment, Office 2019 updates are managed with Configuration Profiles, so I only update the Office package as needed for our DEPNotify installation.

0be2f554f4344315aedd66971a33934c

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Thank you @mlizbeth thats exactly it (Except I always disable that annoying Restart Option payload!)

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

Thanks to you both @Hugonaut & @mlizbeth

Our Environment is all O365 and have a configuration with scripts to keep it all updated as they come in, but could be useful thread for someone in the future who may not know how to do it

Never the less, you're both awesome!

Thanks

EliasG
Contributor

@mlizbeth problem i am running into is it wont let me select the office package to instal first and then the serial. The serial keeps putting itself to the top.

seraphina
Contributor II

@EliasG

Change the priority of the serializer to 11, they both will default to 10.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@EliasG The serializer doesn't require the Office apps to be installed before it's run.

EliasG
Contributor

@sdagley then I am doing something wrong because it wont activate office then, unless it takes a while to activate?

seraphina
Contributor II

It should be activated immediately. Do you have the latest version for your organization? You can get it here https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

EliasG
Contributor

@mlizbeth yeah, it activated the office when i packaged on the laptop, when i pushed the policy it did not activate it.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@EliasG For the perpetual license installed via the serializer the effect should be immediate as it's just writing the appropriate configuration file. It sounds like something isn't right in your policy to install the serializer package.

EliasG
Contributor

@sdagley All I did was launch composer, run the serial, close the composer when its done and add it to Jamf Admin. Did I miss something?

john-hsu
New Contributor III

@EliasG You shouldn't need composer for the volume serializer since it a pkg file. As others mentioned, if you want to serializer to install after the Microsoft Office package, set its priority in Jamf Admin:

ac21cb73b111419d8f00adeaa401807d

Could you screenshot your policy?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@EliasG You can't capture a license with Composer. As @john-hsu implies, add the serializer .pkg you download from the Microsoft portal to your DP, and call it in your policy that installs Office.

EliasG
Contributor

Thanks never had to do this before. Microsoft did not explain that process very well.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

You can use this to create individual Office PKGs for use in patch management, but the entire office installer should work too. It will embed the serializer in the resulting PKG.

https://github.com/ryangball/create-microsoft-office-patch-pkgs

Ricky
Contributor

What we do is download the individual packages from macadmins.software, relabel them Word_July2019.pkg, Excel_July2019.pkg, etc. Our policy just does the usual download & install process, then we run the volume serializer. Be sure in your JAMF Admin to set the priority to 11, that will force it to run after the Office packages (default priority is 10).

misenberg
New Contributor II

Hi! How do you all push the office updates now? I used to get them off macadmin software but I don't see the standalone ones anymore! @mlizbeth any thoughts?

amartin253
New Contributor III

Hey all. Rather than wasting precious time and space re-packaging apps into your distribution points every month, you should check out @talkingmoose's scripts for MS Office 2019 deployment. It works every time for my JAMF environment even with the serializer .pkg. No need to build anything out in Composer. Here is a link to his scripts and an example photo of how I do it at HBO for shared Macs that need a serialized version of Office 2019.

https://gist.github.com/talkingmoose/a16ca849416ce5ce89316bacd75fc91a

You utilize the URLs from https://macadmins.software/ to hardcode what package you want to trigger from the script. I created 3 scripts. One for the base O365 VL package, one for Skype for Business and one for Teams (the 3 scripts in the image) 0f264554ea2840d1b715c64151030676

amartin253
New Contributor III

As for updates, I use a config profile for MAU

misenberg
New Contributor II

@amartin253 But does the urls work for the standalone version? We don't use office 365 so just want to make sure...

Can you share your config profile for MAU?

amartin253
New Contributor III

Yes it does... If you look on the site, they still list the standalone packages for 2019. Here is an example of the script if you wanted to make it for Word 2019 Standalone Installer based off of the macadmins site (https://macadmins.software/) showing the link to be https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525134

You could make packages with Composer that run the script if you wanted to use this script in Patch Management too.

!/bin/bash

<<ABOUT_THIS_SCRIPT

Written by:William Smith Professional Services Engineer Jamf bill@talkingmoose.net https://gist.github.com/talkingmoose/a16ca849416ce5ce89316bacd75fc91a

Originally posted: November 19, 2017 Updated: March 27, 2018

Instructions: Update the linkID value to one of the corresponding Microsoft products in the list and run the script with elevated privileges. If using Jamf Pro, consider replacing the linkID value with "$4" and entering the ID as a script parameter in a policy. Except where otherwise noted, this work is licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/ "You say goodbye and I say exit 0."

ABOUT_THIS_SCRIPT

enter the Microsoft fwlink (permalink) product ID

linkID="525134" # AutoUpdate SKUless download

525133 - Office for Mac SKUless download for Office 365 or 2019

525134 - Word SKUless download

525135 - Excel SKUless download

525136 - PowerPoint SKUless download

525137 - Outlook SKUless download

820886 - OneNote SKUless download

823060 - OneDrive SKUless download

830196 - AutoUpdate SKUless download

800050 - SharePoint Plugin SKUless download

832978 - Skype for Business SKUless download

862280 - InTune Company Portal download

868963 - Remote Desktop

871743 - Office 2016 Volume License

525133 - Office 2019 Volume License

this is the full fwlink URL

url="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=$linkID"

change directory to /private/tmp to make this the working directory

cd /private/tmp/

download the installer package and name it for the linkID

/usr/bin/curl -JL "$url" -o "$linkID.pkg"

install the package

/usr/sbin/installer -pkg "$linkID.pkg" -target /

remove the installer package when done

/bin/rm -f "$linkID.pkg"

exit 0

Photo attached of the MAU Config Profile we use17733f718e394195857808c67491ae9f

stephaniemm77
Contributor

hey everyone
Has anyone figured out how to bypass the sign in/first run screen?
I have an old script that worked with 2016 but it doesnt work anymore with office 2019.

amartin253
New Contributor III

@stephaniemm77 Check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESX5td0y0OP3jdzZ-C2SItm-TUi-iA_bcHCBvaoCumw/edit#gid=0

It is the holy grail of Office customization!

Not applicable

I am unable to upload any packages to Jamf Cloud. Is anyone else having this issue? It gets to 100% then gets a loading screen and then all the fields are empty except the last two which then say "null"

EREAFSNJAMF
New Contributor III

If you look within the Serializer iso, there's a readme.txt that gives some clues on how to set this up. With some help from D8, we use a policy that downloads the software from Microsoft links (as in txt file) then apply the Serializer package.
eb782827f3ef452fbdf4de7de1f78035

j_grafton
New Contributor III

Hi,
I’m having issue packaging the serialiser. I downloaded the iso from the Microsoft volume licensing site and then in composer made it a pkg but when I ran it from self service it didn’t activate Microsoft office. Thanks

talkingmoose

@j.grafton, you don't need to repackage it. Double-click the ISO on your Mac and pull the PKG out of it. Upload that directly to you distribution point and deploy.

j_grafton
New Contributor III

Thank you

mani2care
Contributor

nice just i want to know the activation key how to