Beta Sierra in Self Service ??

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Has anyone tried to install the Beta Sierra via Self Service with success?

using two poicies 1 = Cache (caching the installer works) 2 - install cached ?

when running the self service policy (install cached) i get the following error

Verifying package integrity...
Installing Test-Install macOS Sierra Public Beta.InstallESD.dmg...
Preparing for in-place OS upgrade...
Unable to find brtool. Unable to find brtool in /Volumes/OS X Base System: (null)
Closing package...

13 REPLIES 13

dcgagne
Contributor

Unfortunately beta software from Apple is under NDA so issues regarding them can't be openly discussed outside of their dev/beta channels.

pmcgurn
New Contributor III

Edit:

This method seems to work OK. It let me kick off the install, anyways. I just want to make sure we're not going to have issues deploying this rapidly on gold release, so the NDA police can chill out. :)

This is now public beta , by the way. We're not discussing any Sierra-specific content, other than doing an install.

Edit 2:
This process definitely worked for me. All it's really doing is caching the installer and executing it via policy, so there's still a bunch of manual clicking on the user side. Fine for testing, but we'd like the "good" process to work in Casper at launch.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pmcgurn I am using the following process to try to install the Sierra Beta (i've done this same process with Mavericks, Yosemite, Elcapitan with no problems) starting on page 7

http://resources.jamfsoftware.com/documents/technical-papers/Deploying-OS-X-v10.7-or-Later-with-the-Casper-Suite.pdf

are you using this same process as described in the .pdf ? or are you using the Copy the .app file for OS X to the /Users/Shared/ directory process from the link you provided above ?

I am still getting the following FAILED results in the policy log

Verifying package integrity...
Installing Test-Install macOS Sierra Public Beta.InstallESD.dmg...
Preparing for in-place OS upgrade...
Unable to find brtool. Unable to find brtool in /Volumes/OS X Base System: (null)
Closing package...

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Is it appropriate to redistribute the public beta installer to users who haven't agreed to the NDA and signed up with Apple?

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

i am just installing it on one test laptop, but trying to install it through self service

roiegat
Contributor III

If you have a Apple Developer Account you can have a certain amount of test devices to use. So you should be ok NDA wise as long and your within that number and you don't talk about your experience.

I had the new AppleTV developer version and the NDA is so much stricter on it the the OS one. I pretty much wasn't allowed to talk about it, photograph it, or even whisper mentions of it to anyone else. I had to keep in the basement hidden from even my kids.

kirkmshaffer
New Contributor II

@tcandela - I just ran into the "Unable to find brtool" issue using this method as well... that's what brought me here :) Moving on to trying the /Users/Shared + Script idea now.

roiegat
Contributor III

Just got the same error here when trying the cache and install method. Anyone have any results?

kyleblanc
New Contributor III

Running into the same "Unable to find brtool" issue when running the Cache + Install method in JSS 9.93. Anyone have any idea on this? This is the only thread I've been able to find regarding the issue, Google is no help when looking up brtool

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

i wonder if it has something to do with being beta ?????????????

wayfaircasper
New Contributor II

This is still happening to us with the full version not Beta, can we discuss now that it's not beta?

jcwoll
New Contributor III

This is happening with the public release...not sure what brtools is..

jcwoll
New Contributor III

Here's the reason.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=21373