Big Sur: how to add / modify / delete favorite servers in the connect to server window ?

Spillou
New Contributor III

Everything is in the title. 

I want to manage the favorite servers in the "connect to server" window (command + k) but I am unable to do this. I could of course copy the file com.apple.LSSharedFileList.FavoriteServers.sfl2 in the user's library => application support => com.apple.sharedfilelist but there are different groups of users ith different configurations.

The sfltool doesn't work anymore for that and I can't find a way to edit it using a script or a suitable application. I found mysides for the sidebar but nothing for the favorite servers.

Any help is welcome

3 REPLIES 3

Ecco_Luke
Contributor II

I'm not sure that's possible now... Apple also removed the ability to natively control the 'Favourites' area of the sidebar remotely. 

Why not put those server connections into Self Service instead, where you can scope them however you like?

Spillou
New Contributor III

Hello !

Thank you for your message. I know that there is an app / script (mysides) that allows us to manage the sidebar favourites. I hoped that such app could exist for the favourite servers.

In fact, we have a few servers where the users have to connect. I also wanted an automatic setup and provide the right username instead of the full user's name by default. This way, they only have to type their password. But well, it's not my priority right now.

The issue is that those third-party scripts/apps can stop working with any macOS update - particularly if they're doing things Apple don't want doing. I'm sure you could script a few 'Connect to Server' scripts that can use the Jamf variables (e.g. $USERNAME) and have them appear in Self Service. Or you could even automatically mount them at log-in, but scripting this requires it to be delivered via a signed PKG now I believe so may not be an available option for you.