big sur open terminal from language chooser

gurduv
New Contributor III

Up until Catalina I was able to open a root terminal from the Language Chooser on new Macs.
Does Big Sur removes this feature?
Wasn’t able to find it there.

8 REPLIES 8

gabe2385
Contributor

If you mean using the command - Option - control - T in setup assistant, I was able to use it the other day in testing Big Sur Beta 1, I am going to test it on Beta 2 and let you know

gurduv
New Contributor III

I mean in the language chooser window, one step before the setup assistant.
In setup assistant it does work, but only with the _mbsetupuser user, that is limited.

AdamCraig
Contributor III

related, but not this exact thing. Sometimes when I wipe computers they go straight to the country screen. Is there a way to get them back to the language screen if they are starting on the country screen?

gabe2385
Contributor

Looks like it is still working in Beta 2.

gurduv
New Contributor III

@strayer You can touch a file called .RunLanguageChooserToo in /var/db
The same place you remove .AppleSetupDone.
I use this in my "imaging" process

gurduv
New Contributor III

@gabe2385 In the language chooser?

Vaid
New Contributor III

@strayer https://grahamrpugh.com/2020/02/21/resetting-dep-without-reinstalling.html this can help you

tsylwest
Contributor

Getting the same as @gurduv, I can't get the root terminal window at the language chooser either. I can get a terminal window at the country selection screen, but as mentioned, that brings up a less useful $ user prompt for the _mbsetupuser. I guess it's a security thing implemented by the Apple Security chiefs :-) oh well, back to full re-installs to reset dep... unless there's a new magic key combination someone's not sharing ;-)